How do you wire up a DC jack w/battery snap?

Started by Ben Lyman, September 20, 2015, 04:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lyman

this pic seems so simple and self explanatory but I want to put it in the pedal with a battery snap.
Where it says: To Board - and Battery -
Does it mean I go:
1 wire straight to board -
& 1 wire to sleeve of stereo input jack,
then another wire from (center shaft) of stereo jack to battery-  :icon_question:

"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

G.Neyrey

Search General Guitar Gadgets and click on any of the projects wiring diagrams. Most all of 'em have a nice drawing for wiring a battery snap and power jack together. Good luck!

bloxstompboxes

You are simply tieing the board GND and battery GND together with your neg/gnd from the power supply jack. I simply connect those and my GND from my 3pdt switch together at the input jack and call it done.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

GibsonGM

I go from that DC jack "-"  to the input jack's shield tab, which also goes to board "-".  Then one wire from the jacks' ring to battery "-".   This is how the input jack switches the battery when you insert a plug...hope this helps, it's  an easy to confuse thing sometimes.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

bloxstompboxes

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

LightSoundGeometry

I get confused with the DC input jack and the 1/4 stereo input. I believe once you unplug the psa the battery takes over, the part I dont understand is the plugging/unplugging of the guitar cable on the power source. is this so you can leave the dc input plugged in, thus allowing the guiars input to now select which source the load will get power from ? why do people say unplug the guitar so the battery wont go dead?

bloxstompboxes

On page 5 of the PDF posted, the guitar plug is acting as a switch when plugging into the jack of the pedal. It is completing the circuit allowing current to flow to the effect board and yes, if you are using a battery, it will continue to use power when you are not playing and deplete the battery. It will also continue to use power if using a walwart and the guitar cable is plugged in. But usually no one cares about that, even though you are basically wasting electricity in your home... however small an amount it might be. You may also be shortening the life of the pedal in doing so. This is still true if you unplug your guitar but leave the cable or a short pedal to pedal patch cable plugged in. The barrel of the plug is completing the circuit and not a combination of the cable wiring with the guitar.

Trace the wiring of page 5 in the PDF with an actual jack and cable if it helps and try plugging in and unplugging the plug to help visualize the situation. You could also use your multimeter and verify that it is actually happening.

LightSoundGeometry

very awesome PDF !! I can see the circuit now. like you said, once the guitar is unplugged the path is broken to battery circuit.

is the psa is still connected, and guitar is unplugged, where is the path closing on the battery ? someplace on the jack itself? the battery -9v path is closed when the plug is connected..is the ring and shield on the input jack connected - I want to set this up but have no time because of school. huge test tomorrow and I am on last minute work..cramming mathematics lol

i dont have a stereo jack here either at home

if sleeve and ring are both ground and tip is i/o - how is it switching or opening the circuit to shut off battery, but also closing circuit to drain the battery,  at the same time...I need to study this

davent

Plugging a mono plug into a stereo jack shorts the jack's ring and sleeve contacts. Unplugged input plug, the battery connection (-v) to the jack ring is floating.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

GibsonGM

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on September 20, 2015, 06:16:37 PM
I get confused with the DC input jack and the 1/4 stereo input. I believe once you unplug the psa the battery takes over, the part I dont understand is the plugging/unplugging of the guitar cable on the power source. is this so you can leave the dc input plugged in, thus allowing the guiars input to now select which source the load will get power from ? why do people say unplug the guitar so the battery wont go dead?

Yes....with the DC jack, the internal switch disconnects the battery if you plug a PS adapter into it.
The TRS stereo jack simply acts as a switch to cause ground to open when you remove the cable (as Davent just said).
On or off, if you leave that plug in the jack, your battery is still connected. Remember, true bypass effects are always on...

Neat tricks for so simple a thing, huh?  Switches are cool.
  • SUPPORTER

LightSoundGeometry

the output symbol looks like the ring symbol..i can see the input and switch symbol more clearly now. trying to trace the path and see it

so a true bypass effect will always drain a battery you are saying ?  I guess I am asking for my positive grounded rangemaster which only has a battery hooked up to it will always be in the on position drawing amperes/hour ?

hymenoptera

Don't confuse the battery/AC-adapter switching in the DC jack (not present in your battery-only pedal) with using a TRS jack to switch the power on and off. They are two separate concepts.

Guitar pedals don't use on/off switches like many other devices need, because someone figured out a clever way to switch the power on, only when a cable is plugged in, many years ago.

Since guitar cables are all TS, plugging a TS cables into a stereo TRS jacks shorts the ring and sleeve contacts in the jack together. This is how the power is switched on guitar pedals. The negative (which is ground on the jack/guitar etc anyways) is disconnected when the cable is removed, opening the power circuit and turning the device off.

Try to think of using a TRS jack as having an on/off toggle switch. Plugging the cable in or out connects or disconnects the power. It's just a clever trick to save parts and money. Alternatively you could just use 2 x TS jacks or in/out and instead switch the power with a toggle switch or something, but that's more parts and more money, and just unnecessarily complicated and confusing. We guitarists are easily confused! :)
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth

hymenoptera

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on September 20, 2015, 08:25:43 PM
so a true bypass effect will always drain a battery you are saying ?  I guess I am asking for my positive grounded rangemaster which only has a battery hooked up to it will always be in the on position drawing amperes/hour ?

Only when the cable is left plugged in :)
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth

LightSoundGeometry

cool, thanks, I finally wrapped my head around it ...the ring is shorted with the sleeve thus becoming ground and closing up the battery path , unplugged ring becomes open circuit with the battery by not shorting with sleeve. lol

we havent gotten to plugs, etc yet ..took first lab exam today ..and a 2 hour math test. it mostly deals with Ohms law and  Watts law finding the missing variable in a circuit we constructed and had to test.

my workbench at home looks totally different now ..no more hammer lol ol

hymenoptera

Keep that hammer around.

You'll need it when a circuit just plain doesn't work and needs permanently turned off  ;)