Help building a pedal router to select pedals between FX Loop and Front

Started by guijs, September 24, 2015, 05:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guijs

Hello,

I need some help to build a pedal router.

I have some pedals connected at the front of the amp, and some pedals connected at the FX Loop. My problem is that, depending on the guitar I use, there are pedals (e.g. Chorus and Phaser) that sometimes goes better at the front, or that sometimes goes better on FX Loop.

My amp has a function that I can select the FX Loop to be always ON on ch1 for example, and off on ch2. This way I can use effects on ch1 and no effects on ch2, so when I switch between amp channels I only need to hit one button instead of turning on/off all the effects.

I need a pedal router that allow me to change my Chorus and Phaser pedals between the front and FX Loop chain. Something like the drawing bellow. I need to change pedals connected to IN/OUT between line A and B, but if I select line A for example, line B must be still passing signal.

What kind of switches should I use? A 3/4PDT switch to route between line A/B and another to connect the send/return of the lines?

FlyingZ

Edit: I reread your post and this might not be what you wanted.

This was many years ago and I still use live it today. 1 to 10 stomps per song knock on wood.
Make sure grounds between loops are isolated. Plastic jacks help.

Hope this helps, it's all that survived a hard drive crash.

slacker

Here's a way to do what you want with a 4PDT switch

Where it says modfactor in the middle is the loop where you'd put your chorus and phaser.

slacker

Yeah it could be bad in some circumstances, in this case though the ground of the input jack of the amp is highly unlikely to be at a different potential than the ground of its fx loop so there shouldn't be a problem. It's no different than running pedals in front of the amp and in the fx loop off the same power supply.

guijs

Thanks all for the help!

I do use the same Voodoo Labs power supply for all Front/FX Loop pedals.

I think I finally found what I need. Is the diagram below correct? I got this drawing and made some (ugly) modifications.

slacker

FlyingZ

Before you spend your money run a wire from effects loop ground to input ground and check for noise. A huge part of amplifier design is in proper grounding to prevent loops. You are connecting a ground in front of your amp to somewhere in the middle and may create hum.

My fender amp hummed like crazy.

guijs

Quote from: FlyingZ on October 02, 2015, 01:11:38 PM
Before you spend your money run a wire from effects loop ground to input ground and check for noise. A huge part of amplifier design is in proper grounding to prevent loops. You are connecting a ground in front of your amp to somewhere in the middle and may create hum.

My fender amp hummed like crazy.

Maybe a silly question but can I do that by connecting a regular cable from amp front to FX Loop?

FlyingZ

Nope but you could touch the tips of your cable to the outside of both jacks as if it were a wire.

guijs

Quote from: FlyingZ on October 02, 2015, 06:20:17 PM
Nope but you could touch the tips of your cable to the outside of both jacks as if it were a wire.

Great, I did it and no hum or noise at all.  :icon_biggrin:

guijs

Just to let you guys know that I have built the pedal yesterday and it perfectly works!

I bought a AB looper that comes with a 3PDT switch and I rewired it with a 4PDT switch.

Thanks all for the support.