Low pass filter with variable control?

Started by Ben Lyman, October 05, 2015, 12:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lyman

Is it possible to make? Anyone have a schematic? The simpler the better and passive is preferred if possible. It's for keyboards
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

Groovenut

Here are a couple of passive LPFs.

The one on the left varies the amount of signal allowed through the cap to ground, leaving the knee point static but varying the slope. The one on the right varies the knee point but leaves the slope static.

The values are arbitrary and only to show function.
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

Ben Lyman

Thanks, that's kinda what I thought, like a tone knob on a guitar.
As for the diagram on the left, is one of the potentiometer lugs left unconnected to anything?
                                                                          -S. Vai

antonis

You can leave it unconnected but it should be a good practice to connect it to the middle lug (pots wiper).. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

nguitar12

exactly what I am going to ask also. Is there any equation for calculating the cut off frequency/slope?

Groovenut

Quote from: nguitar12 on October 05, 2015, 11:30:39 AM
exactly what I am going to ask also. Is there any equation for calculating the cut off frequency/slope?
f=1/(2piRC), R=1/(2piCf), C=1/(2piRf). R in ohms, F in Hertz and C in Farads

edit: apparently fat fingered the Z this morning :)

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Groovenut

robdean

LPF calculator: http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/Low-pass-filter-calculator.php

In addition to using a pot to vary the circuit response, you can add a switch between different value capacitors. I have done that in a guitar. I get the best results by ear once I know the approx. cap values. Cheap test leads with croc clips on the end are a great way to try different values, or just a bit of domestic wiring block. Ideally get a bunch of values either side of your best guess. Recently I did OK with a dozen identical caps by combining them in series/parallel to get other values.

Ben Lyman

-S. Vai