Multi Effect Advice???!?!?!?!???

Started by brokenstarguitar, October 06, 2015, 11:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenstarguitar

Hey guys I need some direction. I want to build an Octave Up and Down, Chorus/phaser, and a Fuzz with the option of a dirt like distortion, like the dirt channel on an Ampeg SVT but I cant really find any layouts anywhere. I can find Octave layouts but they're only one octave up or down, not both. Same with the Chorus/Phaser and Fuzz/Distortion. Here's a drawing of what I have in mind. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kevin Mitchell

- Octave up/down;
That may be difficult, there isn't much for that effect in the DIY community. Octave fuzzes though are everywhere. Try finding 2 circuits (one for up, one for down) and have a switch between them unless an alternative is presented.

-Chorus Phaser;
From my experience I wouldn't find the chorus setting on a phaser at all pleasing. Usable, yes but definitely not a go-to chorus effect.

-Fuzz;
You really have to dig around to find the gem you're looking for. Don't rush into anything. Make sure you find what YOU want.
-------------------------------------
Be mindful of the power suply. Whatever circuits you use may not work well boxed up with others sharing power. So be prepared to look into voltage regulators/charge pumps and possibly reversing polarity (most classic fuzzes are positive ground).

This is your project so you're going to have to do the leg work here. Find what you want and check back in if you have any concerns.

-Also you may be interested in switching the position of the effects. For this you may have to work out some switch wiring. It may be practical to look into switching circuits instead of toggles and rotaries. It all depends on how far you'd want to go with your vision.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

R.G.

In addition to what Kevin said, here's a bit more info.

You don't find octave up and down in the same circuit or board because they are fundamentally different processes in most effect pedals. Most pedals that do octave up do it by full-wave-rectifying the signal. Most pedals that do octave down do it by squaring up the signal and dividing it in a digital flipflop.  Either one of those about fills up a pedal.

That being said, I did post a design schematic for a design that does both. It uses the front end to Andertson's "Rocktave Divider" to get a decent octave down, but then uses a phase locked loop to multiply that by several octaves up. You might search the forum for "rocktave" and my posts on the topic.

You don't find a chorus/phaser because those are again different processes. This confusion was probably started by the Univibe calling its phasing setting "chorus" when it's not. The Univibe is a four-stage/two-notch phaser, and the chorus setting is really phasing. The vibrato setting really is a mild frequency shift.

Real chorus pedals do a modest time delay with some modulation on the delay to get the chorus effect. Two different kinds of circuits.

As to picking which distortion/dirt/grunt/grind pedal - they're much like noses; they come in all shapes and sizes, some more attractive than others, and pretty much personal preference which is which.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

midwayfair

One up, two down:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/LowRider/docs/Lowrider2015.pdf

But I'm going to be "that guy" and say that this is the best way to build a multipedal with that many effects for maximum versatility and minimal problems:

My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

blackieNYC

I built a multi-pedal.  But I had each of those guys spend some time in my prototyping enclosure (anything really. mine are a candy tin, and an electrical box with jacks, switches and holes) before I committed them to the big box.  Gotta love it first.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

mth5044

Check out Drolo's Giant Hogweed for octave up, down and fuzz/distortion.

blackieNYC

There's the Slacktave as well.  an up circuit, a down circuit, and a blend.  Haven't tried them.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Beo

My experience with multi-effects (usually three in one in a DD box) is that after a while I find I get disillusioned with one of the effects. Then I have a two in one box, with a third I never use. I definitely recommend having separate jacks for each effect (internal switching jacks so you don't need jumper patches). That said, go for it. You'll definitely find a buyer if later you become disenchanted. If you're not sure... build three pedals to start.
Sorry, no recommendations on circuits.

FUZZZZzzzz

"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"