3PDT switch wiring for two effects.. Help!

Started by Its255am, October 06, 2015, 04:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Its255am

I've searched high and low.
What I want to do is but two overdrives in one enclosure and have one single footswitch that will switch between the two effects.
Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

davent

If all you're doing is switching between two effects, one always in the signal chain, all you need is a dpdt switch, adding a third pole would allow you to have corresponding indicator LED's.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Its255am

I totally didn't ask the right question sorry. So it will be an 808 and Klone in one box. I want one switch to a/b between the two effects and a second switch to operate as an on//off for the whole pedal. Ideally with 3 led's or a bi-color led and a single color. Thanks

Kevin Mitchell

This is how I would go about your concept with 2 3PDT relays.

Drew it out quick forgive my chicken scratch  ::)

EDIT: Oh wait haha! I drew "raw signal" and "to amp" over the top lugs instead of the middle. The wiring should be good.

The bicolor LED is on only when the the signal isn't clean. The 2nd switch sets which side of the LED gets the power which I believe is how those LEDs operate if I remember correctly. The bypass relay is very simple.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

Its255am

And I assume that second switch works as a kill switch?

Its255am

Kevin Mitchell

It's obvious!  :icon_lol:

The switch on the left switches between effect on and effect off as well as LED on and off. You can see a jumper on the bottom lugs for the clean bypass. The switch on the right selects which effect of the two gets the guitar signal and also which side of the LED gets power.

(EDIT) - sorry for all the editing...
That wiring diagram is not a kill switch. It's exactly what you're asking for. A kill switch by my definition would cut any signal going to the amp. I think that's what most people refer to as a kill switch. The switch on the left is a bypass switch (clean/effect) and the right (effect1/effect2). The way I drew it out you'd only need 1 LED for your project. I find this to be the most ideal method.

Yeah it's not pretty. My computer has been acting up and I can't use any software. These relays are actually simple don't be afraid to take a puzzle head on  8)
  • SUPPORTER

lars-musik

I found this on my harddrive:

I guess I once found it in the german Musikding forum. It is called "Two effects On/OFF and Change". "90° drehen" means "rotate 90°".
Maybe that's what you're looking for. Good luck!

Kevin Mitchell

I like my method and drawing a little more  :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER

lars-musik

No question about it. Style wise you absolutely outclass my cited image.

peterg

lars - it looks to me one or the other of the effekt leds will be on at all times that there is a plug in the input jack. Shouldn't the middle lug of the effekt 1/2 led pole be connected to the upper right lug of the bypass switch? That way the effekt 1/2 leds are grounded (and one of the two effekt leds are on) only when bypass switch is in circuit on mode?

Cozybuilder

Confusing at first glance, but the switch orientations are 90deg from each other.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

lars-musik

Quote from: peterg on October 07, 2015, 12:57:49 PM
lars - it looks to me one or the other of the effekt leds will be on at all times that there is a plug in the input jack. Shouldn't the middle lug of the effekt 1/2 led pole be connected to the upper right lug of the bypass switch? That way the effekt 1/2 leds are grounded (and one of the two effekt leds are on) only when bypass switch is in circuit on mode?
Hi Peter,

I tried  to translate what cozybuilder said

Quote from: Cozybuilder on October 07, 2015, 01:00:57 PM
...., but the switch orientations are 90deg from each other.

somewhat clumsy.
Quote from: lars-musik on October 07, 2015, 03:31:09 AM
"90° drehen" means "rotate 90°".

But these 3pdt switches (and especially questions related to them) always confuse me utterly anyways.

Thanks to cozybuilder for aiding me there!

peterg

I understand the switch orientation. Regardless of the diagram the leds connected to the effekt 1/2 switch are always grounded therefore one led or the other is always on even when the bypass switch is in bypass mode. Maybe that is what is wanted for this pedal.

lars-musik

True. I think it is handy to know which effect will sound when you turn the pedal on, indicated by that LED. But then again, I just relayed that diagram and never built and/or used it.

Cozybuilder

PeterG is correct. The ground from the jack should go to the center pole right side of switch 1 (as it is), and the S2 center (neg select for LED1 or LED2) should be connected to the LED3 cathode.

(assuming you only want that info when the pedal is on)
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

davent

Quote from: peterg on October 07, 2015, 04:28:28 PM
I understand the switch  orientation. Regardless of the diagram the leds connected to the effekt 1/2 switch are always grounded therefore one led or the other is always on even when the bypass switch is in bypass mode. Maybe that is what is wanted for this pedal.

That's how i'd set it up as well, the active circuit's led always on whether the box is bypassed or not, a third LED to indicate whether the box is active or bypassed.

And i'd give each led it's own current limiting resistor. The only time i used a three-legged bi-colour LED it required two resistors as the brightness difference between the two colours was significant.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

lars-musik

Quote from: davent on October 07, 2015, 05:17:28 PM

And i'd give each led it's own current limiting resistor.

Very good point. Those are missing in the diagram but are vital!

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: davent on October 07, 2015, 05:17:28 PM
And i'd give each led it's own current limiting resistor. The only time i used a three-legged bi-colour LED it required two resistors as the brightness difference between the two colours was significant.

Well now, that usually isn't much of a problem is it? I haven't had any complaints using either side of a bicolor LED through 1 res. to power.

I find it humorous how you guys got hung up on the effekt diagram lol. It's laid out very pooly making it seem more complex than it actually is.

I'll amuse myself and draw up a diagram with 3 LEDs. I'll share it if it turns out less intimidated than the effekt one.
  • SUPPORTER