Need some custom pedal power supply help

Started by Natman, October 07, 2015, 09:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exztinct01

Just a question guys, is there any advantage in having separate regulators for evry output of the ps? i'm planning to build myself one where the traffo secondary goes to rectifier, filter then take many paths to different regulators, every regulator will serve only one output jack. Or is a single lm7809 good for maybe 10 outputs? is there any difference besides the space needed and cost?
~ Stephen

antonis

Quote from: exztinct01 on March 09, 2016, 07:47:37 AM
is there any advantage in having separate regulators for evry output of the ps?
Yes, if you want separate isolated outputs..
(as long as the whole circuits before the regulators are also separated..)

i'm planning to build myself one where the traffo secondary goes to rectifier, filter then take many paths to different regulators, every regulator will serve only one output jack.
Not bad - not good..
If the rectifier/filter is capable to handele your TOTAL current requirements, it's OK...

Or is a single lm7809 good for maybe 10 outputs? is there any difference besides the space needed and cost?
You'll definately need more space for 10 small regulators than a big one..!!  :icon_wink:
(but you'll also have to take into account the possible necessity for heatsink and ventilation..)

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

exztinct01

i don't think ventilation is a problem since I'll be using a pc power supply case with a fan consuming 150mA and transformer capable of 1.5A. I don't think I'll be using digital pedals and analog pedals only needs about 10 to 20 mA. (Right?)
~ Stephen

antonis

Right..!!

P.S.
Maybe your ventilation fun have some "noise" issues.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..