LT1054 - what happens if pin1 and 8 are connected?

Started by JerS, October 08, 2015, 10:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerS

I was wondering what the practical impact of connecting pin1 and 8 of an LT1054 being used as a voltage inverter is? This can happen in situations where one is replacing a MAX1044 with the oscilator boost function enabled with an LT1054. I see where folks recommend lifting pin 1 on the LT1054, but I am just wondering if this is absolutely necessary - and what are the negative effects of leaving it there.

Anyone have any experience with consequences?

The reason I ask is that I accidentally did just this, and did not notice any operational differences. I am not sure if some issue will crop up later or not. The datasheet doesn't really address this, though it does say that the volts on pin 1 can be equal to the max volts rating for VCC.

Let me know! Thanks!

JerS

For anyone who is curious on this - I received a reply from Linear Technologies. They say there is no problem connecting pin 1 and 8 (same as when using a max1044 with oscillator boost enabled) while using the chip as a bipolar supply.

So there you have it - no need to clip pin 1 any more.

Peace

midwayfair

Quote from: JerS on October 27, 2015, 07:07:27 PM
while using the chip as a bipolar supply.

Bold, underline, and italics because that mean that this isn't necessarily true:

QuoteSo there you have it - no need to clip pin 1 any more.

Most pedals use it as a voltage DOUBLER, not a bipolar supply.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

JerS

Good clarification. I should have included the actual reply from LT. Here it is:

Frank_NH

Thanks JerS.  I have a bunch of LT1054 chips and was wondering the same thing.  I believe it should work equally well for voltage doubling configurations.  Here's the datasheet for reference:  http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/1054lfh.pdf