need some help w/ my Vulcan JFET

Started by plexi12000, October 09, 2015, 02:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plexi12000

i assembled joe davission's jfet vulcan on strip board.  JD recommends setting drain volatage around 4.5-5 volts.

the schemtic says 100k resistors.  i was getting about 3.8 v's.  so i dropped down to 82k r's and i got around 4.8 volts.   plugged in and it sucked.

what's up?!  kinda muddy, some 'gating', etc.

assuming the rest of the circuit is ok, which i believe it is, i checked it over several times for a day or two before i assembled...... is anything else i can do? or should i get

some other jfets to plug in?   thank you

Kipper4

A schematic would help.
Did you consider using trimmers for the 100ks?
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

GibsonGM

You using the specified JFET?  I've used some 'other' JFETs in circuits (MOSFETs, too), and found that unless using the one they specify, you may need to bias differently, by ear...like Kipper suggests, maybe you have to use trimmers and 'dial it in'.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

mac

Try a bit more current through the diodes, 4M7 instead of 10M. You'll need to adjust drain resistors.
Or change diodes.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

PRR

> JD recommends setting drain volatage around 4.5-5 volts. ... i was getting about 3.8 v's.  ..... i got around 4.8 volts.

Nothing very wrong with that.

> plugged in and it sucked.

My guess: something else is wrong.

> some 'gating'

It almost has to "gate" with that diode affair in front of JFET Gate.
  • SUPPORTER

hymenoptera

Quote from: PRR on October 09, 2015, 05:30:43 PM
> some 'gating'

It almost has to "gate" with that diode affair in front of JFET Gate.

I saw that too, and thought that was a curious arrangement, but then I realized there's a pile of DC on top of them so they're pretty much always conducting a little uA trickle idle at least until the signal goes positive enough to shut them down.

I've read that this is a pretty good sounding circuit and now I'm even more interested to hear it.
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth

287m

my successfull jfet vulcan build is with 3 (almost) matched j201
so, 3 drain resistor have same (almost) value
maybe my brain forgot detail

plexi12000

thanks for the responses, gents!    it's been a crazy few days around here.  dad has been in and out of the hospital....etc., etc

so the only thing i've done is trying 4.7M instead of 10M resistors.....that pretty much cut off all 'sound'.   dang....i was hopin that would work!  lol

I'd like to try the trim pots next.   THANK YOU

plexi12000

mac

Quotethanks for the responses, gents!    it's been a crazy few days around here.  dad has been in and out of the hospital....etc., etc

Sorry to read this.

Quoteso the only thing i've done is trying 4.7M instead of 10M resistors.....that pretty much cut off all 'sound'.   dang....i was hopin that would work!  lol

Did you adjust drain bias?

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84