The 0415 Guitar Synth

Started by Freppo, October 09, 2015, 03:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freppo

Hi folks,

I just wanted to let you know that I just released a new original design called "the 0415 Guitar Synth".
It turns the guitar signal into a square wave with both octave up and octave down that can be mixed together.
The octave up is based around a Phase Locked Loop and it tracks well over the entire fretboard.
So unlike a normal octave fuzz, this one doesn't scramble chords and it can even do two octaves up. :)

Here's a short, kinda cheesy "blues" I threw together..  ::)
https://soundcloud.com/fredrik-lyxz-n/bitblues

More info, PCB, and demo video at www.parasitstudio.se

I hope someone finds this little circuit interesting :)
cheers / Fredrik
Check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Kipper4

Excellent love it Freppo
So differant
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Mark Hammer

Kind of in the same camp as the Crash Sync, albeit in a different and more flexible way.

Never used the 4015.  I assume it provides the selection of octaves.  Can pin 11 of the 4015 be used if one has a suitable switch, or are there just the two choices?

Is performance improved at all by sticking a small cap in parallel with R3 to tame the highs a little more, or does it lose something by doing so?

Freppo

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 09, 2015, 03:55:30 PM
Never used the 4015.  I assume it provides the selection of octaves.  Can pin 11 of the 4015 be used if one has a suitable switch, or are there just the two choices?
Yes Pin 11, and even pin 2 can be used for 3 or 4 octaves up...  ;D But it's just too much to be useful.  :P
The CD4015 shift register works as four D-flip flops in series with the inverter from the output back into the data input.

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 09, 2015, 03:55:30 PM
Is performance improved at all by sticking a small cap in parallel with R3 to tame the highs a little more, or does it lose something by doing so?
I will not make a difference since the schmitt trigger output that follows is basically "immune" to any filtering before it.
C2 is enough, but it's just there to improve tracking alittle bit and stop oscillation. It does nothing to the tone.

Dakota

This is superb for two knobs and two switches. So many useful and totally synthy tones. Would take great to phasers and delays after it. 

Quackzed

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

aron

Very cool! Sounds GREAT! Now don't take this the wrong way, but you kind of look like Bruce Lee. :-)

Freppo

Thanks! Glad you like it! :)

Quote from: aron on October 09, 2015, 10:13:23 PM
Now don't take this the wrong way, but you kind of look like Bruce Lee. :-)

Ehm.. That's because my avatar is actually a pic of Bruce Lee, not me.  ::)   ;D

~arph

Quote from: Freppo on October 09, 2015, 03:10:50 PM
So unlike a normal octave fuzz, this one doesn't scramble chords

Nice little circuit, but surely it does not track chords... You'd either need DSP or a hex pick-up and six PLL' s

Freppo

Quote from: ~arph on October 10, 2015, 09:02:09 AM
Nice little circuit, but surely it does not track chords... You'd either need DSP or a hex pick-up and six PLL' s

You're right. It doesn't track chords. What I meant is that it doesn't sound scrambled like a normal octave fuzz do.
Insted you get some octave jumping, but simple two string power-chords can actually sound pretty good. :)

Ben Lyman

that's pretty much the coolest guitar synth I've ever heard, if I wanted a synth tone for my guitar I would definitely want that. Very cool indeed, good job  8)
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

Freppo

Quote from: Ben Lyman on October 10, 2015, 12:45:00 PM
that's pretty much the coolest guitar synth I've ever heard, if I wanted a synth tone for my guitar I would definitely want that. Very cool indeed, good job  8)

Thanks. I'm glad you like it  :)

stringsthings

Really liked the demo video on your website.   Also looking forward to the "deluxe" version.   Gotta finish up the sidescroller first, but I can definitely see myself buying a couple of these synth PCBs in the near future.  :)

FUZZZZzzzz

I just found my 'mystery pedal' for the coming recording session :) thanks for sharing! sounds great.

This is probably the first pedal ever that makes even 'sweet child o' mine' bearable (yes i listened to your video). You should be applauded for that alone. You're just in time as well as I was just about to build the Bit Commander. I think that one will have to wait.

Have you tried it on bass?
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

FUZZZZzzzz

also, what does the 100k trimpot do exactly.. as in.. is it worth taking outside?

sorry.. I found half of the answers already.. i was looking at the vero, but on the pcb it reads sens trim..

Freppo

Thanks! Glad you like it :)
It sounds pretty cool on bass, but alittle more glitchy.

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on October 12, 2015, 05:22:25 AM
also, what does the 100k trimpot do exactly.. as in.. is it worth taking outside?

sorry.. I found half of the answers already.. i was looking at the vero, but on the pcb it reads sens trim..
Yes, the trimmer sets to input sentitivity, from very sensitive (noisy when just touching the strings) to more controlled/gated.
The expanded version that I'm working on will have that as a external control - works better with the features it has.
For this one I would leave it as a trimmer.

cheers / Fredrik

Luke51411

For the expanded version, are the chips the same? I'm going to place a mouser order soon for the ICs for this version and figured I would just double up for when the expanded version is released  ;D

FUZZZZzzzz

So about the trimmer... just set and forget? Just dial it slightly over the noise threshhold? I will try to build it in a couple of days.

Freppo

Quote from: Luke51411 on October 12, 2015, 03:40:12 PM
For the expanded version, are the chips the same? I'm going to place a mouser order soon for the ICs for this version and figured I would just double up for when the expanded version is released  ;D

:)

Yes, the same chips but 4 insted of 3 chips:
1x CD4015, 1x CD4046, 2x CD4069

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on October 12, 2015, 03:40:35 PM
So about the trimmer... just set and forget? Just dial it slightly over the noise threshhold? I will try to build it in a couple of days.
Yes, pretty much set and forget. Adjust it after your guitar and taste (how much noise..) :)

Luke51411

Quote from: Freppo on October 12, 2015, 03:47:43 PM
Quote from: Luke51411 on October 12, 2015, 03:40:12 PM

:)

Yes, the same chips but 4 insted of 3 chips:
1x CD4015, 1x CD4046, 2x CD4069

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on October 12, 2015, 03:40:35 PM
Yes, pretty much set and forget. Adjust it after your guitar and taste (how much noise..) :)
Cool, thanks for the quick response! I love your circuits and will be boxing up a Corruptor soon!