SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

True Delay

Started by rafaelveggi, October 11, 2015, 04:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rafaelveggi

Hi how are you?

please I need help to find a very specific delay pedal

is there any delay pedal that plays only the delay part and not the notes I'm actually playing?

I'd like to try it on some reggae stuff in a way I play the bass with 2 outputs, one goes direct to bass amp and the other I'd put thru this delay pedal and then thru an octave up pedal and then through a harmonizer

so I get a boring automatic guitar player to follow me on the upbeat

any hints?
thanks a lot

Granny Gremlin

I'm sure this is possible with many units (try turning the mix knob all the way to the wet side), but I recently built an Echo Base with the clean kill switch mod which does exactly what you want.
my (mostly) audio/DIY blog: http://grannygremlinaudio.tumblr.com/

mth5044

The pt2399 only puts out a delayed signal, it's the makers of the supporting circuit that blend in the dry. You can add a dry kill switch to almost any pt2399 based delay. The ease of adding one depends on how the circuit is designed.

Ben Lyman

My brother and I do this too, just bass and drums, but I use a buffered splitter box, about $15-20 to make.
1 side out straight to bass amp dry
other side out to pedal board w/octave fuzz, whammy pedal, chorus, delay and guitar amp.
lots a fun!  :)
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

Mark Hammer

Plenty of delay pedals, from the very beginning, had/have an option to feed delay-only out one jack and dry signal out the other; mixing them together when only the main output jack is used.  Some will have a mix/blend control that only adjusts the level of the wet/delay signal, leaving the dry signal fixed, while others will let you blend from totally dry to totally wet.

That's what you want.  Alternatively, as others have suggested, simply identify the mixing resistor that connects the dry signal to the ixing stage...and lift it.

rafaelveggi

Quote from: Granny Gremlin on October 11, 2015, 04:52:36 PM
I'm sure this is possible with many units (try turning the mix knob all the way to the wet side), but I recently built an Echo Base with the clean kill switch mod which does exactly what you want.

thanks for your reply Granny Gremlin
that sounds nice, was that hard to build?
I'm a complete newbie on pedal building (and pedals in general as you can see by my question)

rafaelveggi

Quote from: Ben Lyman on October 11, 2015, 05:46:28 PM
My brother and I do this too, just bass and drums, but I use a buffered splitter box, about $15-20 to make.
1 side out straight to bass amp dry
other side out to pedal board w/octave fuzz, whammy pedal, chorus, delay and guitar amp.
lots a fun!  :)

very nice Ben! do you have any videos of both of you playing?
do you also do this 100% wet delay stuff ?

rafaelveggi

Quote from: mth5044 on October 11, 2015, 05:02:24 PM
The pt2399 only puts out a delayed signal, it's the makers of the supporting circuit that blend in the dry. You can add a dry kill switch to almost any pt2399 based delay. The ease of adding one depends on how the circuit is designed.

Thanks for your reply mth5044
I thought it was a very hard to find spec on common delay pedals
but as it's not that rare I guess I'm buying one
I've never built a pedal before, do you say this pedal would a hard one to start with?

thanks again

Kipper4

Personally I like the tonepad rebote2.5
It has lots of mods.
I like my reggae and dub too. That's why I did the infinite repeats mod. And the tails mod too.
However having said that a delay is a big project for a newbie.
I'd start with something simpler to build up your skill base, soldering etc so you don't get frustrated and spend more time debugging than building and playing.

Welcome to the hotel California of hobbies.😀
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

rafaelveggi

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 11, 2015, 10:46:18 PM
Plenty of delay pedals, from the very beginning, had/have an option to feed delay-only out one jack and dry signal out the other; mixing them together when only the main output jack is used.  Some will have a mix/blend control that only adjusts the level of the wet/delay signal, leaving the dry signal fixed, while others will let you blend from totally dry to totally wet.

That's what you want.  Alternatively, as others have suggested, simply identify the mixing resistor that connects the dry signal to the ixing stage...and lift it.

Thank you for your reply Mark!
as I'm a total newbie I guess I'm buying a pedal with two outputs
and as I live in Brazil I have quite few options, maybe that Behringer one would fit

thanks again

rafaelveggi

Quote from: Kipper4 on October 12, 2015, 07:45:34 PM
Personally I like the tonepad rebote2.5
It has lots of mods.
I like my reggae and dub too. That's why I did the infinite repeats mod. And the tails mod too.
However having said that a delay is a big project for a newbie.
I'd start with something simpler to build up your skill base, soldering etc so you don't get frustrated and spend more time debugging than building and playing.

Welcome to the hotel California of hobbies.😀

thank you for your reply, Kipper4!
yes, I guess I'm buying a delay pedal
maybe I'll start out with a buffered spliter, could be useful to my band

Ben Lyman

Quote from: rafaelveggi on October 12, 2015, 07:34:53 PM
very nice Ben! do you have any videos of both of you playing?
do you also do this 100% wet delay stuff ?
No, sorry, no vids, I'll ask my brother if he has any recordings, he usually has cassette tapes of our jams.
I like the totally clean and dry bass tone out of one side of the splitter but for the other side going to the guitar amp... all bets are off!  ;)
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

Granny Gremlin

Quote from: rafaelveggi on October 12, 2015, 07:31:23 PM

I'm a complete newbie on pedal building (and pedals in general as you can see by my question)

Yeah, not the easiest build, but I think they're bloody great.  Wouldn't recommend it to a beginner and it has a number of features you don't need (modulation).  It can be pretty simple if you don't do any mods (except the clean kill) and jumper the onboard switch options (e.g. tails) to keep off-PCB wiring to a minimum, but still.

So yeah, you're looking at buying one - just try a few out in your local shop - there should be at least a few where the mix (aka blend or wet/dry) knob will let you get what you want (or very close to it).

rafaelveggi

Quote from: Granny Gremlin on October 12, 2015, 08:24:16 PM
Quote from: rafaelveggi on October 12, 2015, 07:31:23 PM

Yeah, not the easiest build, but I think they're bloody great.  Wouldn't recommend it to a beginner and it has a number of features you don't need (modulation).  It can be pretty simple if you don't do any mods (except the clean kill) and jumper the onboard switch options (e.g. tails) to keep off-PCB wiring to a minimum, but still.

So yeah, you're looking at buying one - just try a few out in your local shop - there should be at least a few where the mix (aka blend or wet/dry) knob will let you get what you want (or very close to it).

sounds like lots of fun to build such a pedal!
I'd need only a tempo knob and two outputs, one dry and one wet, nothing else
does it make things simpler?

Granny Gremlin

Basic delays are much less likely to have separate wet and dry outputs.  I can't tell you no such animal exists, but I don't know of one.  You said you would split the signal to 2 amps above and I figured you meant using a device other than the delay, and that you had one.  If not, that is a much easier project.  Then any small/cheap delay will do you; just make sure there is a mix knob and that it can give you as near to 100% wet as is acceptable.