Morley Dist/Vol/Wah Pro S. II MOD for Bass??

Started by maunez16, October 14, 2015, 06:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maunez16

Does anyone have any suggestion?  :o :o :icon_question: :icon_question:
PD. This is a great comunity btw, thanks
Heres the link for the schematic cuz im a noob and i dont know how to upload pics: http://www.schematicsunlimited.com/m/morley

Transmogrifox

Morley hosts schematics of many of their products on their web site:
http://www.morleypedals.com/pdw-iies.pdf

To lower the frequency range over which it operates, multiply C2, C4, C5 and C6 by the same value. 

I did a quick circuit simulation of this and I came up with the following mods that will bring it down into the bass range and still re-use some of the parts already on the board:
C2 = 33 nF (0.033 uF)
C5 = 6.8 nF (0.0068 uF)
C6 = 10 nF (0.01 uF)
You might want to change C4 to about 200pF to flatten out the mids a bit, but my guess is you can leave it alone and it will sound fine.

Notice you only need 1 new capacitor:
move C2 (10n) to C6 location.
move C6 (6.8n) to C5 location.
Put a new 33 nF in place of C2.

It will change the sweep range to about 150 Hz (heel) to 1 kHz (toe).  The low end depends on how large the LDR3 resistance is when the pedal switches on.

If you find you still need to change the range up or down then scale all those capacitors approximately evenly.   If you keep the ratios nearly the same then the modification is pretty safe.  If you start messing with the ratios like my suggested mods then there is danger of making it go unstable and then it will make an annoying tone at some sour-spot frequency.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

maunez16

;D ;DEXCELENT! Thanks a lot man!!!
Now i've got a few more questions...

What about c16 and c17? i want to add more bass to make it a little bit crunchy distortion so i was wondering bout using a .033 and a .0068 like the mods you already suggest.
thanks!

Transmogrifox

Probably C12 and C13 will be the ones you want to touch to change the sound of the distortion.  To put a little more low end into it you make those bigger.

C16 and C17 will be more of a post distortion tonal balance and you may find you need to tweak with those too, but it may not be obvious what you want to do with them until after you adjust C12/C13 to get the "texture" you want out of the distortion.

Finally the tonestack is more or less a standard BMP style tone with some extra resistors to balance the high/low emphasis around the pot.  You will probably want to mess with the tonestack to change the emphasis to go well with whatever you do to tweak with the distortion.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.