Complete Noob needs help making an amp switch

Started by Marsh1029, October 17, 2015, 12:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsh1029

Hi, I have a JCM 2000 DSL 100. On the back there are 2 inputs - one for channel switching, and the other for switching the reverb on and off.
I want to make 2 new switches as a hobby, but I am very confused even though I have built pedal kits before.

The amp provides power for the led.

The rehoused marshall switch uses the xwing type spdt. 2 of the poles are being used, the 3rd one isn't. im guessing thats how its supposed to be and wouldnt work with an spst.

I would like to make new switches, with high quality stomp switches from smallbear.

Questions:

If i buy spst carling switches - can I wire up an LED as well?  If I use a 5mm led, what resistor would I need? Currently a 3mm led is being used, with a 1k resistor.

If a spst cannot be used with led, and must be the spdt, are the xwing type good quality? if not, what is the next step up in switch quality that I should purchase, and how would it be wired up with a resistor/led (in case the next step up switch has more poles that require a different hookup)?

Thank you so much in advance guys. I know these questions are dead simple to you, but I have no one else to ask, and I have exhausted google. whatever switch you guys recommend from smallbear, please include a very simple diagram so even I can solder along.

Picture of the switches

Picture of the marshall rehoused switch - was in "skull" switch

Picture of the switch I made. No Led. Have no idea what kind of switch this is.

mth5044

I'm a little confused how you ended up with these switches. Did you make both of them? Do they work?

If that first switch picture is correct and working, you can use a SPST switch. You have make sure of a few things though. Whether the switch needed is momentary or latching, and if you need a normally open (NO) or normally closed (NC) switch. With an SPDT it doesn't matter, since you can wire it up either way. With an SPST it will matter.

You can use your multimeter to figure out if your switch on the top has continuity between the two used lugs (which I doubt) or if they are open.

A 3mm LED needs the same resistor value as a 5mm one.

An easier approach would be to find and post the Marshall footswitches schematic.

Marsh1029

thank you so much for your reply and help.

To clarify - I made the two switches. The first picture is of what they look like in the enclosure, and the next two is of just the guts taken out so I could take good pictures for myself and everyone in this forum that could lend me their knowledge.

They work for my dsl 100 jam 2000 amp to change channels and turn on and off the reverb.
the second picture is the actual marshal switch guts. I just took it out of its marshall housing years ago, and put it in this tiny little enclosure.

Yes, they work, but I am posting this because I would like to make more. But i don't want to buy 3pdt switches because thats more "switch" than I need. So I am just asking to see what is the appropriate switch. A latching switch is what i need. just to change the channel. Im not sure about anything else.

Im guessing I should just buy the X wing spdt switches to copy the original marshall switch to be on the safe side? just want a high quality switch.

thank you for your help.