Try and tweak the sound.

Started by h1283703, October 19, 2015, 04:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h1283703

Hello,

I'm kinda new to the diy pedal craft. I assembled some kits and repaired some pedals, but never build one.
I have questions regarding this:
- Is there a software where I can design the pcb, that allows me to try the modification of the sound signal? I mean, for example, I build a delay pcb, and want to test it, is there anyway I can simulate, by inserting a guitar or bass sample for example, and see the modification that the pcb does to the sound, all virtually?

- For a beginner, what software, and what method to print the pcbs should I go for?

Thanks

antonis

Hello and Wellcome..

As far as I know, there isn't any common software for simulation AND PCB design..
(meaning that you'll have to redraw the circuit - I'm not informed of any "dublication" method..)

My personal choice for simulation is Tina-TI software and for PCB design is Eagle CAD but these are just a matter of taste.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

smallbearelec

Hi--

Simulation software will tell you what a circuit will do to a guitar signal. It won't tell you whether you will Like the result, so breadboarding is still a required basic. I can't recommend a package for simulation, but others here will. For board design, I have long used EAGLE; other people here have their favorites. To get a board made inexpensively, I have had good experience with and can recommend OSH Park. If you are willing to live with a typical 10-business day delivery, their price of $28.00 for three small boards is hard to beat. Better, they will work from an EAGLE .BRD file; for standard requirements, no need to convert to Gerber.

LightSoundGeometry

this is what my college has on the lab computers. I found a 'trial" version and now have it to   ;) look how cool the virtual bread board is ..sweeet !

http://www.ni.com/multisim/

#hackers delight

mth5044

You can use LTSpice to see what it does to a signal, but you won't be able to hear it.

Or can you?

LightSoundGeometry

Not sure, I am still green. I think you can with the external lab hook up devices

ashcat_lt

Quote from: mth5044 on October 20, 2015, 03:39:17 AM
You can use LTSpice to see what it does to a signal, but you won't be able to hear it.

Or can you?
Actually, I'm pretty sure LTSpice will take a .wav, run it through the sim, and spit out a .wav of the result.  It's really slow, but...

Somebody on this forum has developed a program called LiveSpice that will actually actually process in realtime, and he was working on getting it to compile to VST, but I'm not sure how far along that part got.  Search should bring it up.