Two Pedals in One Question

Started by Unlikekurt, October 22, 2015, 09:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlikekurt

I've done the multiple pedals in one enclosure thing a few times now without any issue. 
Now I'm looking to combine pedal circuits together into one "effect" for the first time.
Of course this presented me with a few questions.
For example, let's say we were going to cascade an overdrive into a boost.
Both of the circuits on their own would have 1M pull down resistors on the front.
Is it necessary to include the 1M at the front of the second circuit or can it be omitted and simply be fed directly from the output of the first's volume pot?
Secondly, can both of the circuit blocks share the same Vb supply?

Thanks for any input

ode2no1

yes you can omit the second 1m resistor to ground. yes they can share the same power. but, what is your goal with the boost section? to always make the overdrive louder? what i'm getting at is that you probably don't need the volume control at the end of the overdrive if you just want a louder overdrive (since you said you want them to be 1 effect) and can omit it and use the boost sections volume as your overall volume.

alexanderbrevig

"How can I get the blackcat vibe when I step on a rat?" <- two pedals in one question  ::) :P

No, you do not need the 1M to ground on each input. That's mainly to pull down input when nothing is connected, and a drain for static buildup. It removes the click you can sometimes get when connecting to equipment.

antonis

If you intend to activate circuits separate (by their own ON/Bypass switches) you have to place boost at the end..

In this case you have to place Volume pot on Overdrive (so it can work as stand-alone pedal and, maybe, a pot for gain adjusting on Boost..)

IMHO, you have to play a little with boost gain if you don't want an extra distortion..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Unlikekurt

Thanks for the responses guys.
The OD into Boost was an example, not necessarily what i'm looking to do.
And I do not want individual bypass switches.
Thanks for the search keyword Alexander, I cant' seem to get it to pop up at the moment, but i'll sure look into it later.