tremolo question

Started by LightSoundGeometry, October 27, 2015, 04:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightSoundGeometry

Hello, was thinking about doing a tremolo and cant figure out what the layouts mean when they say wrap the ldr resistor and the diode together ? looking at a vero layout on google, looks like the two components are just soldered in like a normal resistor.

Groovenut

I usually sand a small flat on the top of the LED, then super glue it to the face of the LDR. Then I'll use black heat shrink to encase the two making it sealed from external light.

Then you end up with a four lead component. The LED + and - leads and the two non-polarized leads of the LDR
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

blackieNYC

When you breadboard it, you may need to give some extra shrouding to the assembly.  Matter of fact, put down the superglue and start off with some black shrink wrap or electrical tape - you will have varying results with LDRs, look for sufficient depth and an even swing.  You may swap LDRs, or LEDs.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Kipper4

Which one where you thinking of doing LSG?
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: Kipper4 on October 27, 2015, 06:32:46 PM
Which one where you thinking of doing LSG?

I dunno ..too many schematics and vero layouts out there ..lots have bad reviews or unverified..I want to do it myself so trying to avoid buying a prefabbed pcb.

link me up to a verified one. I found one in here when i was searching for information on tremolo named magnavibe by storm software but is it really verified.

so basically, we are making our own optocoupler or similar?

Kipper4

Your a vero layout kinda guy aint yer? I'm a perf guy. Vero ........Meh..........
If you want a beginner trem try the EA tremolo its very popular although ive never built one.
There was a recent thread about a modded EA thats worth looking up, heck there might even be a vero layout in there.
I really like the Shoot the moon Tremolo. Its worth doing a search for that too. Not too many parts.
If you want something more complex try the Tremulus lune. Great tremolo lots of perameters to tweek.
I hope this is helping.
What are you like at reading schematics? maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else.
Yes were talking about roll your own Vactrols (octo couplers)
The way i do it is to put the LDR legs in the handsfree vice one side and the diode legs in the other side of the handsfree vice press the two together and heat shrink them together with 6mm heatshrink. for 5mm leds. I use black heat shrink and warm it up with the blower (a lighter will do)
then fold the legs down while its still warm. i leave the diode legs at full length until installed then I know which is the anode and cathode.
Bobs your uncle, Fannys your Aunt.
You just rolled your own.

Grey Paper.

Transmogrifox

Quote from: Kipper4 on October 27, 2015, 07:43:34 PM
If you want something more complex try the Tremulus lune. Great tremolo lots of perameters to tweek.

True it's not a "simple" project, but well worth it. 

I had started the thread on the EA mod topic.  The EA is a good easy build and doesn't require making a Tremolo.  The stock EA has a verified layout.

The rEAgenerated tremolo that I posted has unverified layouts, so that puts you back where you started with a risk that you might have some troubleshooting to do. 

My votes for you are:
#1 Tremulus Lune.  A little more complicated but well worth it.  Verified layouts exist.
#2  Stock EA tremolo.  Simple, no custom vactrol parts, and verified layouts exist.  Down side (that was addressed by rEAgenerated trem) is that it the depth doesn't get very deep.  It's not a chopper, for certain, just modest (but very smooth and nice) tremolo.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

PRR

> cant figure out what the layouts mean when they say wrap the ldr resistor and the diode together?

The lamp has to shine on the active area of the photo resistor.

Room light should not hit the active area of the photo resistor.

With omni incandescents we just put the bulb and foto-R in a little can.

With directional LEDs we have to point the LED beam right at the foto-R.

The lamp/LED is usually dim, so we want them very close.

One technique is to put a blob of silicone caulk on the foto-R, stick the LED in that (pointing at the foto-R), let set, then wrap with tape or shrink-tube.

(If the silicone smells like vinegar, do NOT get any on the leads, they will rot.)

With very small foto-Rs, and large LEDs, it may be good enough to put both in shrink-tube.

On a complex job I mounted everything on perf, bent the leads to get the aim, and then fabricated cardboard boxes to hide them from outside light.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

a 35mm film can is a good thing for messing with ldr/led combos. you can put 2 different ldrs on a bit-o-board, shine a led on them and see which one you like better.

I did a vero for a modded vico-vibe somewhere hereabouts. that does helicopters without optics, even has interchangeable input/output.
don't make me draw another line.

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: Transmogrifox on October 27, 2015, 10:03:01 PM
Quote from: Kipper4 on October 27, 2015, 07:43:34 PM

True it's not a "simple" project, but well worth it. 

I had started the thread on the EA mod topic.  The EA is a good easy build and doesn't require making a Tremolo.  The stock EA has a verified layout.

The rEAgenerated tremolo that I posted has unverified layouts, so that puts you back where you started with a risk that you might have some troubleshooting to do. 

My votes for you are:
#1 Tremulus Lune.  A little more complicated but well worth it.  Verified layouts exist.
#2  Stock EA tremolo.  Simple, no custom vactrol parts, and verified layouts exist.  Down side (that was addressed by rEAgenerated trem) is that it the depth doesn't get very deep.  It's not a chopper, for certain, just modest (but very smooth and nice) tremolo.

I got rick rolled from you link ... :icon_lol:

Mark Hammer

Ultimately, the LED/LDR combo will be encased inside a chassis, further impeding any extraneous light.  So, in one sense, one needn't go overboard with respect to encasing the DIY optoisolator.  On the other hand I figure some 90% of us (at least) are going to verify the functioning of the circuit before boxing it up, and that will be done without benefit of chassis obstructing extra light.  So, it's a good idea to at least have shrink-tubing, and include a bit extra (i.e., cut a piece longer than the LED/LDR assembly) and "pinch" the ends over the LED and LDR leads so that it looks sort of like an egg roll.  Keep in mind that light can leak in through the "back" of the LED, and maybe even through the back of the LDR.

That will likely be good enough to achieve near-total-darkness operating conditions, which will be further improved upon (if possible) once you box it up.

Note that one can grind/file down the LED so that only a little bit of plastic is left above the anode/cathode gap.  Homebrew optos can get rather large and cumbersome, so anything you can do to "shorten" the assembly can be helpful when it comes to fitting the thing in.

Finally, I have yet to see ANY tremolo schematic that specifies a luminance rating for the LED.  And since many of the schematics posted around date back to a time when 1000mcd was considered really bright (and 10,000-20,000mcd is easily and cheaply obtainable these days), users of homebrew optos may want to consider installing trimmers for current-limiting resistors so that the brightness of the LED can be fine tuned to the circuit needs.

Kipper4

If your just after a simple to make Tremolo
why not head over to tone pad and make the EA trem here
http://www.tonepad.com/getFileInfo.asp?id=130
24 componants and 3 pots not including the board , jacks
Dont forget to rock it before you box it
Have fun

Grey Paper.

Kipper4

I've just discovered the schaller tremolo that sounds ok too
AKA Hearthrob Tremolo (based on the former)
Might be worth a search, no fets involved.
Edit and no optos.

Grey Paper.

Transmogrifox

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on October 28, 2015, 02:06:11 PM
I got rick rolled from you link ... :icon_lol:
From that thread, repeated here for completeness and to steer future searchers in the right direction when they run into a dead end on a 10-year-old thread, here's the recent & updated development:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=111925.0
http://www.cackleberrypines.net/transmogrifox/rEAgeneratedTremolo/pages/
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.