loop pedal and a/b switch in one?

Started by cmsuter, October 29, 2015, 05:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmsuter

I have an ac30 so I use and a/b switch to go between channels. I just got a fuzz that I love but it sounds muddy on the overdrive channel and great on the clean. So I want to build  a 1 button pedal that activates my fuzz and changes to clean on my amp at the same time. Any ideas? Im a noob to pedal building. Im handy with a soldering iron but have never actually built a pedal. Would be possible? If so, simple?

Groovenut

Any reason you wouldn't just put your fuzz pedal in the clean channel signal chain between the A/B box and the amp?
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

cmsuter

Wow..... I am so embarassed that I didnt think of that haha. That makes way more sense and is exactly what I will do. Thanks!

Granny Gremlin

If you're sure you will always want the fuzz on then it's easy: just stick the fuzz on the output of A (Assuming AB box out A goes to clean) and leave it on (if you're switched to B it won't do anything unless the Fuzz has a lot of self-noise).  If you want the option for A or B or A+fuzz you can't do that with a single stomp switch (without getting into some crazy things like digital control or logic circuits); you need a switched fx loop on Channel A. Having the fuzz on an fx loop will let you turn the fuzz (+ whatever other fx are in the loop) on/off with a second stomp (or toggle) switch so you can run clean signal to the clean channel if you need to.  If you're only going to put the fuzz in the loop it's just as easy to just use the stomp on the fuzz itself vs a second stomp on the AB box to engage the fx loop, but the fx loop is very easy (second switch controls whether channel A goes direct to the output or the fx loop send jack; send needs to be a switching jack so that it is connected to return jack even when no cable is plugged in to send in case of accidental switch hit; return jack can be hardwired to output or switched from output to no connection by the aforementioned second stomp switch).  ... though if you plan it out right, having a switched fx loop may allow you to actuate both the A/B and FX loop switches at the same time, which might be useful.

.... ah nevermind.
my (mostly) audio/DIY blog: http://grannygremlinaudio.tumblr.com/

Groovenut

Thinking outside of the box (bucket-o-fish)

(pun for the day)

;)
You've got to love obsolete technology.....