Building a fuzzy sounding distorsion pedal (first build)

Started by DavidMH, November 01, 2015, 09:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidMH

Hi guys!

I found an instructable on how to make a distorsion pedal here http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-an-easy-guitar-distortion-pedal-STEP-BY-STEP/ I've read the instructions and learned a bit about the components of a pedal. However i have quite a few questions. My aim is to make a fuzzy sounding distorsion for neck pickup leads like Robert fripp from King Crimson (he used a Maestro fuzz a lot) and fuzzy bridge pickup riffs like Matt Bellamy from Muse (Zvex Fuzz factory), but also that cleans up a bit with the volume knob to play riffs with the bridge pickup and don't sound too fizzy. I think i will be using 1N914 diodes in conjuction with 1N34A to give the sound some more clarity and definition as the tutorial states. I've also decided to include a just a volume and gain potentiometer, unless a high pass filter or tone knob is truly neccesary (is it?).How can i manage to make the pedal more volume knob friendly (I know distorsion pedal, specially with silicon instead of germanium are no very prone to cleaning up well, but still)? What type of sound can i expect from a pedal using those diodes and following the instructions of the tutorial? Any tips or opinions on achieving that kind of pedal?

Thanks in advance!

PRR

Welcome.

Just build it. I think *everybody* here has built a fuzz about like you are considering.

It WILL be useful, plus educational, and possibly addictive.

It probably won't be the last distortion you ever build, so don't sweat the details.
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

Quote from: PRR on November 01, 2015, 09:47:54 PMIt probably won't be the last distortion you ever build, so don't sweat the details.

+1 to that.

smallbearelec

Quote from: DavidMH on November 01, 2015, 09:41:26 PM
My aim is to make a fuzzy sounding distorsion for neck pickup leads like Robert fripp from King Crimson

That instructable doesn't give you a full path to creating something gig-worthy.

If you want to know what a circuit will sound like before you commit to solder, breadboard first. I offer a kit for breadboarding a distortion similar to the one in the instructable:

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/breadboard-the-ursa-minor/

but including a distortion control and output level pot. When you have a sound that you like, the parts can be re-used to create a finished, professionally useful pedal:

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/Projects/UrsaMinor/UrsaMinor.htm

To be frank, the Electra-type distortion represented by the instructable circuit and my Ursa Minor are very different in tone from the raspy, nasal fuzz of the Maestro that you also mention. But, as Paul R suggests, the one-transistor distortion is a good place to start learning How.

Welcome, and Happy Construction!

Ben Lyman

Dude... You just got schooled by The Dream Team! You better listen to what they said  ;)
And welcome to the forum!
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

Quackzed

QuoteYou just got schooled by The Dream Team! You better listen to what they said  ;)
:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:
Truth!!!
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: Ben Lyman on November 02, 2015, 01:07:42 AM
Dude... You just got schooled by The Dream Team! You better listen to what they said  ;)

I agree with that too! :icon_mrgreen:

Another suggestion, take a look at the Bazz Fuss: http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html. In my opinion, this should be everybody's first build (it was mine's :icon_mrgreen:).