source for grounded wire?

Started by tacobender, November 02, 2015, 03:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacobender

Anyone know a good seller for grounded wire. Not the old school braided kind like for pickups but the other kind like what they use for turret board builds. Can't recall what its called?
  Looked it up on Amazon but didn't find what I need, any ideas?

greaser_au

Try:   'Bus wire' or 'tinned copper wire'.

Depending on what you want it for, typical sizes for general use would be 18 (heavy) to 22 AWG (light), I'd suggest.  I'm assuming you're in the US;   if not 20 - 24SWG respectively. More detail will help us help you select something suitable :)    If you're bussing turret boards 20AWG or 22 SWG would be my suggestion, or if you need it to self-support, go at least 18AWG/20SWG.

hope this is of use!

david

duck_arse

by 'grounded', do you mean "shielded"? as in co-axial?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

armdnrdy

If you're looking for a small diameter shielded coax cable...

RG174/U
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

davent

If you're looking for grounded  bus wire for a turret board i use use leftover/scrap 14awg house wire, strip it and pop rivet it to the eyelet board.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

mth5044

Davent, why is everything you do have to be so beautiful?

Electric Warrior

Anyone have a source for shielded wire with blue insulation and a black pvc jacket, as used in vintage Sola Sound pedals? I'm restoring a MK1.5 Tone Bender. Pre-tinned and a twisted (not braided) shield would be nice, but anything black and blue will do.

Here's a photo of what I'm looking for. It's the wire on the left

MrStab

i've used RCA cable for convenient and fairly-thin shielded wiring. i think it was recommended here, actually. probably not what you guys are looking for, but just putting it out there.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

blackieNYC

+1 -cheap stereo cable, that came with your "CD player". usually quite flexible, always free.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

PRR

Every piece of insulated wire has a bare wire inside.

For small work, I would not bother to stock bare wire.

*Good* "bus wire" is pre-tinned. A mild convenience. If your solder technique is mature, tinning bare clean copper is trivial; if not, you can make bad joints on tinned wire just as well.

Bare bus wire is tinned to stop the oxidation. Tip: even quite old insulated wire is often fresh under the insulation, except an inch at the end.

I suspect the tin costs as much as insulation.

I have used #14 house wire. IMHO, and NOT knocking Dave's beautiful work, this is too fat for pedals and tube amps. You need a more-than-minimal iron and be good with the bending pliers. You may think "over-kill of parasitic resistance", but that is an uphill fight; better to segregate current paths.

Solid-core network or telephone cable, pulled and peeled, ought to be fine for most small audio.

• SUPPORTER

Ben Lyman

Quote from: PRR on November 03, 2015, 12:23:29 AM
Solid-core network or telephone cable, pulled and peeled, ought to be fine for most small audio.

Is this stuff okay? I got it for 25¢ at the flea market
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

PRR

Looks like stranded. Yup, I would use it, though solid wire may be more convenient and traditional. And cheaper; but can't touch 25¢.
  • SUPPORTER

tacobender

Most of the turret layouts I've seen have a wire from the switch, then to an insulated Jack, the main wire the the input or output then another smaller wire running out to ground. I guess what electric warrior is looking for would work the same. This will be my first turret board build so I'm trying to figure out everything I'm gona need. ...maybe I'll use those old CD player wires, LOL not a bad idea ;)

duck_arse

Quote from: Electric Warrior on November 02, 2015, 12:15:41 PM
Anyone have a source for shielded wire with blue insulation and a black pvc jacket, as used in vintage Sola Sound pedals? I'm restoring a MK1.5 Tone Bender. Pre-tinned and a twisted (not braided) shield would be nice, but anything black and blue will do.

I have some shielded from an old VGA cable. pre-tinned and twisted, the red has red outer and inner, the blue has blue outer and inner insulation, and I can't see the third bit, but it's probably green. not black and blue, but at least it's got some blue.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

tubegeek

Quote from: mth5044 on November 02, 2015, 11:30:41 AM
Davent, why is everything you do have to be so beautiful?

Bears repeating. Thatsa nice!

"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

davent

Thanks for the compliments guys! Someday i'll get the amp finished...
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

tubegeek

Quote from: PRR on November 03, 2015, 12:23:29 AM

Indeed it is.

One pitfall I find is that I tend to nick it when I strip it so the solid core wire tends to break if it gets stressed. Better technique is the answer.

I like the multiple color choices and the convenience of solid core I must say.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

PRR

Bic lighter works for me. There's a critical heat where you can skin it with your thumbnail without burning your thumb.
  • SUPPORTER

tommycataus

Quote from: Electric Warrior on November 02, 2015, 12:15:41 PM

I know axetec.co.uk does this, only it's grey instead of black. Same stuff though.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - FZ