Please help! Need new soldering iron

Started by Ben Lyman, November 03, 2015, 12:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lyman

Going to Sears, what is good for pedal building? What is a good brand? I am thinking either the Craftsman 45w or the Cooper Tools 5w to 40w station.
Here's a link to my local store inventory, not sure if it will work but here goes:
http://www.sears.com/tools-electricians-tools-soldering-tools-accessories/b-1219254104?Price=9-75&filterList=Price&lastSelectedFilter=Price
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

Kipper4

Either will do mate
Depends what you like
More features means more things to go wrong. On the other hand my first station was very similar and held up for a decade.
Man those are cheap. Happy shopping.
Rich
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

stringsthings

I'd go with the Cooper.  It's got a nice built in stand which is super handy.  And variable power settings.

armdnrdy

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on November 03, 2015, 02:58:48 PM
my recommendation:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360764132515?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you are going to purchase a new soldering iron....buy it once!
Temperature control is a very useful feature.
If you purchase an "off" brand...you may find that it's difficult sourcing tips for it.
Something of note: Controlling the temp. extends tip life.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

LightSoundGeometry

I remember when I first started, doing the strat/tele builds and first pedals , I used to have to account 14-15 dollars into my budget for a new radio shack gun as they would crap out easily ..I was a fool!! I could of bought a good one from the start and saved cashola.

I remember thinking a solder gun is a solder gun and wouldnt fork over a 100 bucks. As one becomes addicted to gear and building gear, quality tools are essential for getting the job done right.

Ben Lyman

Thanks everyone! When I got there, the "Cooper Tools" solder station turned out to be a $60 Weller solder station
but the guy let me have it for $39 anyway when I showed him the Sears website link.
I do have 30 days "no questions asked" satisfaction guarantee, so that's pretty cool.
Hope it works out.
Thanks again!
                                                                          -S. Vai

aron

Ben, that Weller works great for what we do. It's going to be fine.

Ben Lyman

just used it to de-solder some early 1960's Ge tranny's from an ancient circuit board... worked like a charm! and the tranny's stayed cool as cucumbers and weighed in at 80 each including leakage, etc.
                                                                          -S. Vai

Kipper4

Quick tip Ben
You can use a haemostat (long nose pliers will do) to put on the granny's legs while soldering and desoldering. The heat dissipates to the pliers.
Just to help it stay cool
Rich
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Ben Lyman

cool, thanks Rich. Every tranny on these boards is seated on a cute little miniature ceramic pedestal. I think it helps a lot but I put a heat sink on the "emitter marker" tab or whatever you call it. With this combo I can hold the can with my fingers whilst applying the iron and never feel the slightest temp rise. I just hope all these tranny's come out winners, I got a lot of them, all TI & Philco, about 1/2&1/2 mix of PNP & NPN.
                                                                          -S. Vai