DIY'er with audio probe needs a little help-

Started by plexi12000, November 03, 2015, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plexi12000

i put together a Vulcan distortion w/ 2n5089's (joe davisson)...not workin, so i'm probin.

i have signal at the 1 meg "pull down" resistor.  But have nothing at either leg of C1.

am i correct in assuming either C1 is fkd up...or the solder/trace leading to C1 is bad?   thanks--

Quackzed

yes, it appears that one of c1's legs  is connected to the 1m pulldown resistor on the schematic, so if you have signal at the 1m pulldown, but not at either leg of c1 (specifically the leg connected to the pulldown) then it would appear that they are not connected as they should be looking at the schematic. try reflowing the solder on this connection and check all other soldered connections for continuity to make sure they are connected properly. might be that theres not enough solder , more likely your soldering iron isnt getting hot enough... try tightening the irons tip to the iron as well as cleaning the tip if this seems likely...
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

PRR

Why don't you poke every millimeter of trace between the "got signal" and "no signal" points?
  • SUPPORTER

plexi12000

yeah...i woulda but i made the PCB and the trace is on the underside.  it looked so dang perfect i didnt think anything would be wrong, so i boxed it!!!  -lol

DOOOOUGH!   i have since abandoned that practice!!! 

i mean, it's only a couple wires...so it aint too bad right?!

plexi12000

Success  :)    resoldered......problem solved.  thank you for responding gents.

what a kick ass circuit.  joe davisson is the man- lol

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Quackzed

8) i build his obsidian quite a few years ago, really tight high gain circuit. really dug it.
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!