Author Topic: Arduino MIDI Switcher  (Read 13367 times)

andersm

Re: Arduino MIDI Switcher
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2016, 11:46:08 AM »
Sorry for making it so overcomplicated  :D
But yes, you got everything right. The 4PDT was necessary to keep the signal paths discrete and not to create any short circuits.
I had indeed forgotten that there were relays left, maybe I could use thm to contol the bubble machine and the flame thrower on stage XD

As for the question about the use of Loop B, I guess it depends on what effect I put there. I don't think I would need to switch this on the fly, really. But then again, this way I could if need be. And some effects work both ways but sound differently.
But I guess if I can fit an enclosure into my floorboard that's big enough for all the switches I might just give the post fx their own loop, while I'm at it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 12:05:17 PM by andersm »

potul

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 02:23:18 AM »
So here it goes, my 2 cents....

If you don't need to move loop B from pre to post in the middle of a show, I would skip completely the 4PDT (I will explain later). If it's needed, it can be done with a 3PDT using the FX juggler schematic from Geofex.

Option 1: No relocation of loop B on the fly

-Wire both Loop A and Loop B as true bypass using 2 relays each.
-You then don't need the additional true bypass for loop A. If you still want to control independently Loop A, you can add a button and control it via the Arduino.
-Instead of sending the output of loop A to the input of Loop B, just send the output of Loop A to a jack and the input of Loop B to another jack. This way, you have two separated loops, not connected to each other.
-You have then 2 ways to connect it

Guitar -> LoopA -> preamp -> LoopB -> power amp
Guitar -> LoopA -> Loop B -> Amp

You can simply use a cable patch from LoopA to LoopB, or even better, using a switching jack, you can make this connection automatic when there is nothing inserted in the post-fx jack.
Each loop is trubypass and controlled via MIDI. If you want to change position of LoopB you need to rewire.

Option 2: Loop B switching

if switching is needed without re-wiring, I would do:
-Basically same as option 1. But in this case, think about post-fx being another loop (at the end it is a loop that goes to the preamp of your amp and returns)
-You keep the 2 relays for LoopA and LoopB for true bypass. post-fx loop is always on.
-You add the FX juggler so that you can change the order of LoopB and post-fx.
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/juggler/juggler.htm
You can use a rotary 4PDT and add a status LED
This will enable you to change the order of the post-fx and loopB loops, that is in essence placing the loopB before or after your preamp.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 02:26:05 AM by potul »

potul

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2016, 03:34:59 AM »
If you need it I can draw something....

andersm

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 05:44:28 AM »
Wow. That is pretty cool, although I have to admit I'm not sure I understood all the technicalities.
I would go with option A, since most effects are either pre or post, really.

Basically there are 2 aspects I haven't quite understood yet.
) How do you wire 2 relays to create a true bypass? Doesn't the actual signal still have to run through them?
) The switching jack, I assume, would be the SEND jack for the B Loop, right? How would that relate to whether it's a post or pre effect?
Sorry for the hassle, maybe a schematic would help me indeed. You do have an online tip jar for coffee I hope ;)

potul

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 05:58:10 AM »
Ok,... gimme some time. This evening when I'm  at home I will draw something.

Mat

andersm

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 06:44:17 AM »
Take your time dude, I appreciate this!

potul

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2016, 11:43:15 AM »
Here it goes, this is what I would do, without fancy switching:

Relay 1 and 2 get activated at the same time.
Relay 3 and 4 get activated at the same time.

How to connect it..

Option 1: LoopB is "post" (so, in the FX loop of the amp)

Guitar -> IN
LOOPA Send -> Stompbox IN
Stompbox OUT -> LOOP A return
Preamp Send -> Amp IN
Amp FX send -> Preamp Return
LOOP B send -> Stompbox IN
Stompbox OUT -> LOOP B return
OUT -> Amp Fx return

With this connections, LOOP A is pre, LOOP B is post.

Option 2: LoopB is "Pre" (so, before Amp input)

Guitar -> IN
LOOPA Send -> Stompbox IN
Stompbox OUT -> LOOP A return
Preamp Send -> Nothing
Nothing -> Preamp Return
LOOP B send -> Stompbox IN
Stompbox OUT -> LOOP B return
OUT -> AMP IN

With these connections, both LOOPs are PRE. Nothing inserted in the Preamp Send/Return, or you could put there something you want between loops, without switching capability.
Note that the Preamp Send jack has a switch, so when no jack is inserted, the whole Preamp loop is bypassed.

Take a look a it and see if this fulfills your needs.

Mat

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:53:35 AM by potul »

potul

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2016, 11:54:39 AM »
It's still possible to add "on-the-fly switching" to change LoopB from Pre to Post, using a 3pdt or 4pdt if LED needed.

andersm

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2016, 01:22:37 PM »
Alright, I get it now  8)
Yes I will definitely go for this. I didn't even know those switched jacks existed. Brilliant!
Thank you for the schematic.

potul

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2016, 03:47:14 AM »
Yep, you have the open type, like this one:

And the neutrik style:

jimmyq

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 07:08:17 AM »
Wow, this looks awesome!
I've been looking for this kind of thing for a while and this looks the closest to what I've been looking for.
There might be some adjustments I'd need to make though as I'm trying to modify a standard A/B box, so that I can switch it via midi commands from a floor controller.
I'm a complete newbie in this area, but I'm thinking that each relay could route the signal to A or B. Each relay would have to stay on until I change channel so would I need a specific relay type?
I'd have to install a switch on the unit to latch from manual mode to midi mode unless I could wire it so that stomping on it overrides the midi signal. I'd appreciate your thoughts?

potul

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 08:18:38 AM »
Hi

For a pure A/B switch you only need one Relay. If you want A/B/Y then it gets more tricky, it could probably be done with 2 relays (without buffering).

If you want to "override" with a stomp, what I would do is add a momentary switch, and do it via software. So you can switch from the stomp, and switch via MIDI. Last one to be actuated wins.

Mat

caldersm

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 03:24:58 PM »
Agree with you on using the momentary switch and do the code in the chip.

I just finished some software software using a Teensy.....for a project with 8 momentary switches in and 8 relays out, a Mini OLED display, a rotary encoder with switch, USB Midi and Hardwired Midi with a remote stomp via a cable.  Via the menu you can change PC and CC Channels and the CC Command registers.....also Latching vs Momentary outputs.  About 700 lines code....

achben

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2017, 01:40:54 PM »
I have everything working save for being able to change the state of the pins with note on/off or PC.
What code do I put where to change the states of the digital pins with PC 01 and PC 02?

potul

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2017, 02:42:09 AM »
It should be easy to add it. I am away from my PC this week. Tonight I will be back home and I will take a look at the code.

potul

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2017, 11:21:38 AM »
I have everything working save for being able to change the state of the pins with note on/off or PC.
What code do I put where to change the states of the digital pins with PC 01 and PC 02?

Can you clarify? Do you want to change the state with note on/off, or with PC messages?

If note on/off,  what notes do you want to use for each relay?