Aion Refractor parts Capacitor question

Started by wulfye, November 09, 2015, 02:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wulfye

I'm building an Aion Refractor and finding my parts but C9 and C10 says to use a film Cap on the Aion parts list but the real Klon Centaur schematic uses a polarised electrolytic .

Curious as why the different part and should I just put an electrolytic

thanks

antonis

As long as you connect electros with right polarity you shouldn't have any particular problem..

In theory, these caps should be Non Polarized type but sometimes it's difficult to commercially find 1μF NP..
(I personaly have found 2μ2 NP but they are much bigger than the respective electros..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Granny Gremlin

The why is probably because it's in the signal path (can't be botherred to check).  That's the usual reason fro replacing 1uF electros with film.
my (mostly) audio/DIY blog: http://grannygremlinaudio.tumblr.com/

amptramp

An electrolytic may be cheaper and smaller in this size but the film caps available today (and maybe not as readily available when the Klon was designed) are getting quite small.  Over time, the film cap should be more reliable and should hold its value better (whereas and electrolytic will have a slow decline in capacitance).  Film should also have less series resistance.