Building a mute switch

Started by jonnygreentrees, November 09, 2015, 06:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnygreentrees

So I want to build a simple latching mute pedal in a 1590a. I've built a few pedals from kits before, how would I wire the 3DPT in this pedal so it passes signal in one position and not in the other?

Cheers

Kevin Mitchell

Umm... Please review how a stomp switch works to achieve this.

In simplest form you'd need a box, a switch, 2 jacks and 4 wires. Power is not needed unless you want an LED or any other additions.

Use your imagination for this 3pdt idea (3 pole double throw)

|   |   |
|   |   |
|   |   |

The middle poles throw upwards and downwards completing its connection. But you really only need one pole for this idea. An spdt (single pole double throw)

So here;
|    Nothing here (mute)
|    In
|   Out

For LED you'd need a 2pdt (2 pole double throw)
|   Nothing   |   Ground connection
|   In            |   LED cathode (to be grounded while the anode gets it's appropriate power)
|   Out         |   Nothing

Just to be clear, the switch's lugs look horizontal in reality. Middle throwing upwards and downwards.
_   _   _
_   _   _
_   _   _
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

jonnygreentrees

brilliant that's what I was after cheers!

bluebunny

Just to avoid a floating input on whatever-comes-next, I'd do this:

- In
- Out
- Gnd
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

jonnygreentrees

thanks, if I wanted to use a 2pdt but no LED I assume I just use one vertical row of lugs and leave the other row empty?

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

jimilee

I built an A B switch for a local player and have the B going to a tuner, serves the same purpose and took the tuner out of the chain.

jonnygreentrees

Quote from: jimilee on November 10, 2015, 12:42:22 PM
I built an A B switch for a local player and have the B going to a tuner, serves the same purpose and took the tuner out of the chain.

good idea