Did I fry my npn transistor?

Started by atoff, November 10, 2015, 11:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atoff

I used to know this stuff better than I do now, but at the risk of asking a stupid question... I was matching a bunch of NPN transistors, and mistakenly stuck one into the PNP side of the multimeter.  Put it back into the NPN and it was a little fiddly in giving me a reading, but did... did I cause any damage?   All I have left is as many as I need to finish my projects, otherwise I'd just toss it.

nocentelli

No, it's not going to be damaged hooking it up incorrectly to a meter. Silicon bipolar transistors are pretty hardy and are unlikely to be damaged even if you apply voltage to the "wrong" pins, e.g. put them into a circuit with the incorrect pinout, or npn instead of pnp. JFETs seem to also be quite durable: A MOS-FET is the only transistor device that I am super careful with, and they usually have an accompanying source->drain diode in circuit to reduce the chance of accidently zapping them.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

atoff

Perfect, thanks for clearing that up!

antonis

Just to add something on leo's post...

Meters perform diode measurement at low voltage and ultra low "restricted" current so there isn't any chance to damage a BJT...
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..