Help with FF Gain Pot

Started by Ben Lyman, November 04, 2015, 06:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cozybuilder

Recognize that in your first drawing, your resistance to ground at the cap is reduced. The 1M is in parallel to ground with whatever resistance the wiper is above ground- so that at best you have 1M and 500K in parallel (333K). With the second drawing, you always have 1M above ground.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

Ben Lyman

Okay, thanks Russ. I am going to try the second way after I finish soldering the perf together. I hope I get the same (or very similar) results in my gain control. I was thinking next time I breadboard one of these, I will try omitting the 1M pull down and just use a 1M pot wired up normal, with wiper to input cap and remaining lug to the ground. Any thoughts? Shouldn't that give me the same thing?
Gotta go stack some firewood now... Winter is coming...
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

Ben Lyman

Thanks to all for the help, not only in dialing this baby in but for teaching me so much and helping me to understand how these components work.
No paint on this one so its not worth posting pics but you can check out my vid in the video thread of the "Pictures" section. If you are patient enough to sit through all my noodling, eventually I will turn the gain knob down and show the cleaner side. It's at the bottom of this page:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=84608.600
Justinfun: awesome way to do it, thanks! I accidentally wired the "Pre-Gain" pot backwards but it's kinda cool that way lol  ;D so I'm leaving it!
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai