Question/Poll: How many stompboxes in your setup?

Started by Beo, November 11, 2015, 08:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beo

I think this question be divided in two:
1. How many stompboxes on your live gigging rig?
2. How many stompboxes on your bedroom / practice setup?

I'm a basement player... don't gig. But even though I have dozens of homebrews and a few commercial pedals, I usually only have 4 or 5 chained up at a time, max. Balancing levels and tone makes it hard to have a lot of pedals in the chain... especially when I'm messing around with new projects. So, anyone want to share their opinions?

Granny Gremlin

Just have 1 pedalboard that does both duties (also for guit and bass).  Currently in a state of flux but it was (until recently) 8.  This mighht go up to 10 or so once I sort this out.
my (mostly) audio/DIY blog: http://grannygremlinaudio.tumblr.com/

vigilante397

I don't gig anymore, but when I did my gigging board was 12 pedals and my basement/practice board was 13. To be technically correct it was the same board, I just never really used my loop pedal live. Actually I did when I played solo acoustic stuff, so I guess I should just say this:

Full band gigging board: 12
Solo gigging board: 5
Practice board: 13
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

MrStab

i use the same gear live as i do at home, because i kinda have all i want, really. that's 7 pedals. 4 always on, 1 tuner, 2 for certain songs/sections. there've been times i've tried to stick a tremolo in there and whatnot, but my band's style kinda dictates what stays and what doesn't.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

Beo

Quote from: MrStab on November 12, 2015, 12:18:01 AM
i use the same gear live as i do at home, because i kinda have all i want, really. that's 7 pedals. 4 always on, 1 tuner, 2 for certain songs/sections. there've been times i've tried to stick a tremolo in there and whatnot, but my band's style kinda dictates what stays and what doesn't.

I'm curious... what are your 4 always on?

tommycataus

Not gigged for a while but the bedroom setup varies between 1 and 6. Live it was always 2 pedals - Vox wah into bad monkey (ts variant) into tube amp.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - FZ

alexanderbrevig

I use Fractal Axe-Fx live and for rehearsing. I do have a few pedals that I've made and play around with but I never beat the Axe-Fx at anything.  :icon_redface:

nocentelli

16 pedals all chained up together through a dual looper with an order juggler switch. Home noodling only.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Quackzed

4 to do the garcia 'deadhead' gig... dr.q , ts-5, bd-2, and an analog delay...

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

lapsteelman

I play lap steel in an old school country/western swing band, so the only thing I use for gigging is my Reverb (rub-a-dub circuit, with a mod) and a Volume pedal.

At home I get more adventurous. I have Reverb, Harmonic Percolator, Compressor (Bear hug), Tremolo (similar to EA), and Delay (Cave Dweller), Vibrato (Magnavibe)

So........2 in the live rig, and up to  6 in the home rig.

MrStab

Quote from: Beo on November 12, 2015, 12:50:44 AM
I'm curious... what are your 4 always on?

Engineer's Thumb compressor, TS808, 3-band parametric EQ, modded MXR Noise Gate. i'm a bit tasteless like that.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

MaxPower

2 most of the time (overdrive/distortion + delay). Sometimes three (OD + delay + phaser or chorus). 
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

Beo

Thanks for all the replies. So far really interesting. I brought this question up, because I was wondering how much interest and usefulness there is in programmable looper systems. My suspicions are somewhat validated that most players regularly use 6 or fewer pedals, a few always on and a few turned on occasionally...

vigilante397

Quote from: Beo on November 13, 2015, 02:24:55 AM
Thanks for all the replies. So far really interesting. I brought this question up, because I was wondering how much interest and usefulness there is in programmable looper systems. My suspicions are somewhat validated that most players regularly use 6 or fewer pedals, a few always on and a few turned on occasionally...

I had a programmable looper for a while (DIY project designed by a forum member) but personally I didn't use it enough to make it worth it and was able to replace it with an A/B/Y looper :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com