The Royal Albert Hall Pedal

Started by MJ_Sound_Cubed, September 22, 2018, 04:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloxstompboxes

Almost done with slimming this down. Won't be verified since I have such little time these days. I will eventually build it though, however, I'll post it here for anyone who wants to give it a go.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

MJ_Sound_Cubed

♫♪.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.♫♪

MJ Sound Cubed
--------------------------------------------
Community driven website to share your work at soundcubed.com

bloxstompboxes

I remembered that I had an old laptop that I bought to play around with and it had no issues with running DIYLC. Albeit is a little slow with moving full blown layouts around the page. I redrew MJ's layout and kept it pretty close to the original as far as where everything was placed, with the exception of a few parts that had to be moved to better fit the size parameters. It should fit a 125B. It is currently not verified and I will update it if need be. It is on the cloud. Just search for Rah. Let me know here if there are any issues!

When printing, don't fit to page and dpi should be 600 I believe. Should all be on one page and just under 2.25in in width. Some traces are a little close, so be careful of solder bridges. You might need to run a blade between some pads and traces if printed on some older laser printers. I can stretch it down if needed. Let me know guys.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

MJ_Sound_Cubed

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on September 30, 2018, 09:32:44 PM
I remembered that I had an old laptop that I bought to play around with and it had no issues with running DIYLC. Albeit is a little slow with moving full blown layouts around the page. I redrew MJ's layout and kept it pretty close to the original as far as where everything was placed, with the exception of a few parts that had to be moved to better fit the size parameters. It should fit a 125B. It is currently not verified and I will update it if need be. It is on the cloud. Just search for Rah. Let me know here if there are any issues!

When printing, don't fit to page and dpi should be 600 I believe. Should all be on one page and just under 2.25in in width. Some traces are a little close, so be careful of solder bridges. You might need to run a blade between some pads and traces if printed on some older laser printers. I can stretch it down if needed. Let me know guys.

Well Done, Im impressed can you share the files as well?

MJ Sound Cubed

bloxstompboxes

Actually, the pots are too close together for board mounting both side by side and and vertically. The files are on the cloud though. I will make the necessary changes this week maybe. The board fits in a 1590B, BTW. Not sure 3 16mm pots with fit side by side though.

bloxstompboxes

Found all kinds of value and ref des errors. Wait until I correct them. Sorry about the goofs.

Corrected version of the above layout can be found below and in the cloud:

https://imgur.com/CDEG6K3.png

Pots have yet to be moved. I will verify functionality of the circuit before doing that, most likely.

bloxstompboxes

My schematic for my layout. MJ, FYI, I found your schematic was missing the protection diode and the connection from lug 3 to 2 on the bass pot.

MJ_Sound_Cubed

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on October 04, 2018, 05:13:41 PM
My schematic for my layout. MJ, FYI, I found your schematic was missing the protection diode and the connection from lug 3 to 2 on the bass pot.

Hey man,

Thanks bro. :)  Well done, Diptrace seems to be a good tool :) I will try to update my schematic as well.

MJ Sound Cubed

ElectricDruid

Excuse the off-topic for a moment, but how do you do those circles for "+9V" and "In" and "Out", Eric? I use Diptrace all the time, but I've never seen those before - not that I'm a Diptrace power-user or anything. Are they in the libraries somewhere or did you add them?

Thanks,
Tom

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: ElectricDruid on October 07, 2018, 11:40:03 AM
Excuse the off-topic for a moment, but how do you do those circles for "+9V" and "In" and "Out", Eric? I use Diptrace all the time, but I've never seen those before - not that I'm a Diptrace power-user or anything. Are they in the libraries somewhere or did you add them?

Thanks,
Tom

Hey Tom. No, I didn't do them myself. They are available in the Rullywow libraries under the 'supply pins' category, I think it was. I Not sure if my dropbox account is active on my home pc at the moment as I recently did a reinstall of everything from scratch. Somebody here had posted them in a thread. vigilante397 posted them a while back. Let me know if you can't get them, for whatever reason, and I'll post em up for you.

Should be here:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=113117.msg1046208#msg1046208

GibsonGM

Quote from: Frank_NH on September 27, 2018, 10:10:01 AM
I built both the WIIO and RAH on vero a while back and was rather disappointed in the sounds from these circuits.  Maybe there are problems with the schematics.  Just last night, I decided to take a look at the RAH in LTSpice (even tracking down the BS170 spice model), and the tone stack definitely has issues and seems to be very interactive.  However, the RAH does appear to have the correct 70s Hiwatt tone stack.  Also, my LTSpice simulation showed no appreciable change in the response if you take out the feedback loop.  Maybe there's some subtle effect there.

The MOSFET stages here are rather unique in design, but I think this could be recast using the "Box of Rock" type MOSFET stages and get a similar sound while using some version of the Hiwatt tonestack.

Any chance you can post the LT Spice file for our perusal, Frank?  I'd like to mess with it, and if you've already got it set up, well....  ;)  thanks, if you can.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Frank_NH

Quote from: GibsonGM on October 08, 2018, 08:48:16 PM
Quote from: Frank_NH on September 27, 2018, 10:10:01 AM
I built both the WIIO and RAH on vero a while back and was rather disappointed in the sounds from these circuits.  Maybe there are problems with the schematics.  Just last night, I decided to take a look at the RAH in LTSpice (even tracking down the BS170 spice model), and the tone stack definitely has issues and seems to be very interactive.  However, the RAH does appear to have the correct 70s Hiwatt tone stack.  Also, my LTSpice simulation showed no appreciable change in the response if you take out the feedback loop.  Maybe there's some subtle effect there.

The MOSFET stages here are rather unique in design, but I think this could be recast using the "Box of Rock" type MOSFET stages and get a similar sound while using some version of the Hiwatt tonestack.

Any chance you can post the LT Spice file for our perusal, Frank?  I'd like to mess with it, and if you've already got it set up, well....  ;)  thanks, if you can.

Hey GibsonGM,

Didn't see this request till now  :P.  How does one attach files to a reply?  I don't see that option...  Otherwise I could drop it in my Onedrive space and provide a link.

bloxstompboxes

For anyone wanting to use mine, my layout is now verified. Just rocked it before boxing. The boxing part is gonna have to wait. I've got others in queue already. I'll try and get the pot spacing fixed later this week though.

Interesting circuit.