Anyone using a benchtop drill press?

Started by Bishop Vogue, November 28, 2015, 10:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishop Vogue

Wondering if an 8" drill press is the way to go.  For those who do use one, do you use the step bit or change bits depending on which hole you are drilling?

Thanks!

R.G.

Horses for courses. 8" benchtop is OK for effects boxes of the hammond type. You rapidly run out of its capabilities for anything over about 12" in the smallest dimension or larger than its largest vertical clearance. Boxes have a sneaky way of being longer than the length of the drill bit plus the biggest opening between bit and base.

For drilling PCBs, small, cheap drill presses are remarkably imprecise, but still better than hand drills or the dremel clamp-in kind. For PCBs, you want a jeweler's drill press. Much less runout.

Step drills are GREAT for nearly every box drilling task, and are remarkably less dangerous than twist drills.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Bishop Vogue

gbkd80

I use a cheap, hand-me-down 8-inch drill press for drilling out my enclosures after punching them (I think it's called American or something like that, it's in the garage... funny though it says right underneath "Made In China" LOL  :icon_mrgreen:)

For board work, I use a Dremel workstation and precision drill bits. 

I think even a cheap Harbor Freight press would do the job just fine... mine has lasted me 7 years now and only once did the belt break.  Easy to replace. 

stevie1556

I use a cheap bunch press drill, I believe it was about £100 around 4 years ago, and must have drilled near to 1000 boxes with it. I do a pilot hole with a 3mm drill bit and template, then use a step drill bit for all the holes apart from the pots which are 7mm, the step bits (at least the ones I've got) go up in 2mm steps.

Here is said template that I use (the only reason the lines were on the box was because I was glueing a new template together, afterwards the boxes slip straight inside it for perfect holes everytime).....

slashandburn

If you're in the UK, lidls have a press/stand for £15 just now. Dunno how good it is, but I've been toying with the idea of picking one up as a spare.

Edit, sorry I see you are in Canada.  I do my drilling with a 350w 8" bench top too. I get by fine but it's not ideal for PCBs and I still question whether I'd have been better off with a simple drill stand rather than this all-in-one unit.

Bishop Vogue

Thanks for the replies.  I should have specified that I am looking for one primarily for drilling enclosures, but the comments concerning pcb drilling may well be useful to others who search up this thread.  That drilling template is very impressive - I'm sure it has saved much grief. 

I also should have asked if drill press users find they need a vise or clamps, or if it can be held in place by hand (and is that safe to do)?

Thanks!

Mark Hammer

I've been using a $70 bench-top from either Princess Auto or Canadian Tire for years.  Works just fine.  As noted, the chuck isn't all that far away from the main shaft that the base and motor are attached to, so sometimes it can be hard machining larger chassis.  But the standard sizes are no problem.  For drilling PCBs, you get the carbide bits that have wider shanks and those little plastic collars.  They fit in the chuck nicely, whereas more standard 1/64 bits do not.

atoff

I'm new to pedal building, and I thought drilling the holes would be a lot more aggravating than it turned out to be.  I use a Black and Decker Pivot Driver (http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-VP810-3-6-Volt-Screwdriver/dp/B001HX57A2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8) in the fully straight position... and it's super easy.  I drill pilot holes using a small bit, then use one of those step bits for the actual hole.  For me it's a lot less hassle than setting up a drill press, unless of course you have one permanently set up.  Also, I can use it at my desk while sitting down.  I've drilled 3 enclosures this way in the past couple of weeks, and it's been pretty effortless.

davent

I've been using a King 10" benchtop, (Chinese made, branded for Canada) for a few years for enclosures, a pleasure to use but i was achieving equal results with an electric handdrill, proper prep and quality, sharp drill bits.

Never try this at home but i've never clamped or used a vise to hold an enclosure, use them for holding lots of other odd things but not enclosures. I drill pilot holes with a 1/16" bit, then 3/32, 1/8" where a step bit takes over, stepbit with 1/32" steps.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

bloxstompboxes

I think I just mentioned this in another thread recently, but I have been using this one to both drill enclosures and board layouts. Works great considering its size. Just used it today with a #60 bit with no special attachments and the standard chuck. I originally got it for woodworking pretty cheap.

http://www.defodesign.com/tradesman_rexon/html/drill.html

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

SuzukiScottie

Similar to other already mentioned. This one suits me for everything I need it to so far.