Bazz Fuss w/Gain - schematic check

Started by ecoli, November 28, 2015, 11:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallbearelec

Cool! So you have clearly learned some basics that will serve you well going forward. Now that you have done what you set out to do, I'll say a few things that I held back, partly because you were clearly set on doing the Bazz Fuzz and partly because I had never heard it:

First, this is not a circuit that I would want to commit to solder. I agree that it does work. However, IMO, it sacrifices performance for absolute simplicity. To my ears, the distortion is a bit harsh, probably because the clipping is not symmetrical and because of the unusual way in which the transistor is biased. If you are willing to try another breadboard job, check out my Ursa Minor:

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardUrsaMinor/BreadboardUrsaMinor.htm

It's a similar idea, but better-biased and better-sounding. Now that you have the breadboard bits and a multimeter, any additional parts you would need cost, literally, pennies.

If you do want to forge ahead with the Bazz, take a time out from hardware, download DIY Layout Creator and start to learn to use it. Being able to easily create and modify board layouts is another essential skill. I have noted that my article on the Beginner Boost will give you some ideas about how to think out the mechanical design.

HAPPY CONSTRUCTION!
SD

ecoli

Agreed, the sound reminds me a bit of the "guitar" sound you get on lower end synthesizers.  While I may still solder it to veroboard, I may not bother with a footswitch and just put it in something like an Altoids tin as a travel pedal.  No point using up the higher cost hardware.

Will download the creator program and continue doing some reading.  Thanks again for the help!