Help picking out power transformer

Started by nosamiam, December 04, 2015, 03:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nosamiam

I'm working on J. Haible's clone of the Compact Phasing A. Fun project so far but sourcing some parts has been tricky.

Here's the project: http://jhaible.com/legacy/compact_clone/

And here's the schematic: http://jhaible.com/legacy/compact_clone/jh_krautrock_phaser_sch.pdf

The circuit runs on +/-15v. It has the rectification and smoothing built into the PCB but needs a transformer mounted off-board that puts out 2x 18VAC. I'm not really sure what to buy. How do I know how much current the circuit draws if I can't get it running to measure it?

I did a Mouser search to get me in the ballpark: http://www.mouser.com/Power/Transformers/Power-Transformers/_/N-8u9n5?P=1ysxitiZ1ysxiynZ1yzuxs6&Ns=Pricing|0 but I'm not sure which one I should pick.

Any help?

ps: Don't worry about my well-being what with me asking an AC question. I'm ok there. I've built tons of stuff over the past 10+ yrs, have good soldering hygeine, and have worked with AC mains stuff. I'm familiar with the risks and safety practices of dealing with high voltage.

antonis

A "lazy" way is to slighty overcome the lower of max current ratings for your rectification/regulation components..  :icon_wink:

(which in your case is 1A for 1N4002 Diodes & 1.5A for LM317/337)

Of course, no designer sizes components at their maximum current (or voltage/power) ratings so a transformer of 1A should be more than adequate..

But as I've said, it's a very rough estimation.. :icon_redface:

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

nosamiam

That makes sense! I'll go with the lazy way! Thanks.

R.G.

The short answer is that you need 36Vct at more than 250ma. The 12VA ones rated at 36Vct/350ma should do nicely.

If you're mounting the transformer inside the same box, think about using a toroidal transformer instead of an EI or flatpack. They radiate less magnetic field to cause hum.

If it were me, I'd change out pairs of LM741s for duals - TL072 is a good choice. The LM741 is marginal for audio.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

PRR

It's got light-bulbs, it's got relays, and a lotta opamps.

It appears to be 100mA lamps, two in series. While they "blink", I would assume they may draw most of 100mA most of the time, hence 100mA.

I do not know what the external connection "lamp" goes to. In vintage gear this would be more lamp(s) at whatever current. (However this seems to turn-on in opposition to the internal lamps, so maybe this does not add to toal load.)

I don't see a part-number for the relay. Surely you do, and will look it up. Assume relay could be on for long time, full mA.

Over a dozen opamps. Agree that today you use TL072. IIRC a '072 will idle near 3mA for two opamps, and I do not see any heavy dynamic load (no headphones or such; lamps have transistor buffers). Round-up to 5mA per pair, 35mA for opamps, call it 50mA.

So at-least 150mA, more if the relay is a pig.

You double the DC mA to get AC mA. (The theoretical factor is 1.6 to 1.8 depending on rectifier conditions; at the one-off few-Watt level it is not worth even a 2-digit precision-- double it.) 300+mA AC.

18VAC is ample headroom for 15V DC. If you go a little light on the AC mA it will likely work.

Agree that 250mA is a practical low-limit, 350mA is a better bet.

> worked with AC mains stuff

Even so... faced with a similar demand, I went-safe. Got a 24VAC 1A "Alarm" wall-wart. Made for 24/7 duty. Left the hum at the wall where it belongs. Feed two "AC" pins, this will voltage-double +/-35V DC. (Check those first caps.) I'm not afraid to stick my hand in a live fuse-box, but sometimes there's no good reason to go there.
  • SUPPORTER

nosamiam

Thanks for the help, folks. Got some good info here! I think I'm on my way.

PRR

• SUPPORTER

nosamiam