Diy practice amp with mark hammer's chaos as distortion.

Started by distortionhead, December 15, 2015, 12:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

distortionhead

Guys.. hey Im looking to build a small practice amp. Thinking of using the chaos as preamp. What would be a good small power amp LM386 or TDA2822. Suggestions welcomed...

Elijah-Baley

I built a Punch Amp, and I'm modifing a Smokey Amp DIY adding a gain and a volume master control.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

distortionhead

Elijah-Baley

Jfets? ???
Punch Amp is TDA7052A based.
Smokey Amp (and Little Gem, Ruby, Noisy Cricket...) LM386 based.

Those are 1 watt and 1/2 watt. Just a mini amp.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»

distortionhead

Punch ,ruby, noisy cricket uses uses a jfet buffer right .Thats what i was pointing about... Since i can't get any jfets trying to stay away from those deigns..

Kipper4

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on December 15, 2015, 01:38:20 PM
Smokey Amp (and Little Gem, Ruby, Noisy Cricket...) LM386 based.

Those are 1 watt and 1/2 watt. Just a mini amp.

The LM386 are an 8pin dip (dual in line pin) chip. Not a jfet 😀
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

samhay

>Punch ,ruby, noisy cricket uses uses a jfet buffer right

As you are planning on using the Chaos as a preamp, you probably don't need the buffer.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

Kipper4

I got carried away sorry guys. I didn't look at the schematic
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

distortionhead

Thanks guys.. :D will build it by this weekend and get back..Any other suggestions for preamp other than chaos???  :icon_question:

antonis

Quote from: distortionhead on December 15, 2015, 09:41:04 PM
Any other suggestions for preamp other than chaos???  :icon_question:
If you are saying that Mark's Chaos doesn't provide enough distortion as a preamp then I personaly have to revise the meaning of distortion.. :icon_eek:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

distortionhead

distortionhead

Elijah-Baley

I'm building my Smokey Amp with a 1k pot instead of a SPST switch and I added a 100uF as power filter for cancelling the noise coming from the PSU.

distortionhead

I made it same as the layout. no switches.  ill add filtering afterwards...

distortionhead

Hey guys been busy with Christmas n new year... Got around building it today.. wired it up like this... No big  surprise... No Sound.... Not even a hiss... Dead silent...

distortionhead

Can't upload pics sorry . Will post voltage by tomorrow... One more noob question.. to measure voltage. Black lead should go to the ground and red to various pin right ?? Noob learning..

bluebunny

Quote from: distortionhead on January 04, 2016, 12:46:14 PM
Black lead should go to the ground and red to various pin right ??

Yep.

BTW, there are many, many posts advising how to insert pictures (I've made several myself): where and how to host them and how to form the correct markup.  Have a little play with "Search".   :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...