Something I ran across a few years ago

Started by CodeMonk, December 17, 2015, 09:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeMonk

Several years back, while shopping at my favorite electronics surplus supply store, I saw a couple of 1UI rack, that I had and idea for a project (which I never did).
Anyway, there were not empty cases, they were fully loaded.
They are ATI Multiple Amplifier Array units.
Mode number MILA 800-2
Closest I have been able to find on the ATI web site or anywhere else is models
MMA 800-2 http://www.atiaudio.com/ViewProduct.aspx?CurPage=MMA800-2
or
MLA800-2 http://www.atiaudio.com/ViewProduct.aspx?CurPage=MLA800-1

Visually on the front panel, it looks just like the MMA800-2
I'm guessing the MMA800-2 is an upgraded version of the MILA800-2
Although the numbering scheme is a little more primitive looking on the rear.

I popped it open several years ago and its loaded with a bunch of DIP 8 chip which considering its function are some kind of single or dual op amps.
Searching for the part number on the chip got me no results so I am guessing they are custom made.

Anyone know anything about these things?

Scruffie

They're probably house numbers in which case you'll do better searching for the companies house numbering rather than specific part numbers.

If they're still on the board you could also do some tracing and make some assumptions if you don't mind a bit of risk.

Govmnt_Lacky

Pictures or information (actual numbers) of what you are talking about or want help with would go a long way too....
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

CodeMonk

Well, I just cracked one open,
It does have some quad opamp in there (LF347N),' but the 8 pin DIPS are JRC5532D
Why the hell I wasn't able to find info on them before, I dunno, but the numbers popped up right away this time.
I feel like a dummy now.
I'm a bit more educated I guess. I did get these about 10 years ago.

It has two boards, both the same except the power section is on the other board.
Click the thumbnail for a bigger picture.

I'll probably just cannibalize them somewhere down the road.

I only bought them for the rack unit at $10 each.

amptramp

You are most of the way to a multi-channel mixer with that board.  If you need a mixer, I wouldn't cannibalize anything yet.

CodeMonk

Yeah, I figured that. (I read the manual)
I'm not even jamming with anyone these days though (back problems and such, plus I live in the middle of nowhere).
Not many people out here to get together with.
But, I do do 4 of those units.
This thing has 8 channels itself.
2 of these would be enough to mic up a Neil Peart level drum set :)
If I do cannibalize, I'm save one just in case :)

Even then, its going to be a long time before I get to that.

PRR

I suspect what you have is the Line amp. There's a gain jumper 40-0-20 dB which is a bit short of typical mike gain.

Still would work with hi-output microphones. Or trace and figure what would be different in a mike amp. Maybe just one resistor.

I too have trouble knowing what to do with 32 channels and no band.

The chips are fine audio and can be used for many things. Especially vintage '5532s.... the factory burned and the masks used today are reportedly not-the-same. LF347 is 99%-same as TL074 (check pinout).
  • SUPPORTER