Completed: Paul C. Timmy - replica project

Started by gbkd80, December 26, 2015, 12:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbkd80

I just completed my Timmy replica:

Very unconventional approach to this one; my good friend already owned a Timmy and I always thought it was really cool that Paul C. built these early ones on perfboard, so when I decided I wanted to do some perfboard projects, I figured it would be easiest to start with this and basically replicate it.  I didn't use the schematic for more than double-checking part values.  I even figured out that the perfboard he used was from Radio Shack, and I cut it in the exact spots, etc.  Lined up all the parts exactly as he did in the original.  I even used solid core wire like Paul did, except I had red so that's what I used.  I tried to source all the AVX film caps but had a hard time finding them as I think they're discontinued?  Everything else I had kicking around, except the 4559 chip.  Was actually not as easy building this by eye as I thought it would, and I almost gave up until I did a simple continuity check and realized I didn't bridge a connection, which was all it needed to work.

For the finish I tried to duplicate the original, but the white lettering on the dark enclosure would probably require a silkscreen or a large custom rubber ink stamp with white ink.  I made my artwork in Photoshop from scratch, and originally had a dark enclosure with a white decal, and color-matched the background as close as possible to the finish.  Of course, that ended up looking like shite, so I scrapped that finish and repainted it as white with blue on a clear decal, blue knobs, and a clear LED.  I'm actually a lot more satisfied with the way it looks now after choosing the white finish.  Much cleaner.  Here is a comparison between the original and mine:

And here is a gut shot of both; the original Timmy is on the left:

Bottom line:  sounds amazing.  It's a Timmy.  I'm completely stoked to have successfully made this and have it come out working.  Paul C. designed an amazing overdrive. 

aion

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said "replica"! Good handiwork.

duck_arse

it looks great with the navy knobs, good job.
don't make me draw another line.

Fast Pistoleros

that looks fantastic! I want to play through a timmy pedal sometime!

gbkd80

Thanks guys... I strive for perfection even if I don't always know what I'm doing.  In this case though I'm really happy it works and also came out looking good!