Help Wiring Enclosure

Started by Ben Lyman, December 30, 2015, 10:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lyman

Are there any easy-to-understand diagrams like this.
I want to wire up my fuzz enclosure like this before I put the board into it, does it look like it is right?
My board will have 8 connections, 7 marked in pink plus a ground wire.

The signal goes into the footswitch to the board,
there are two wires from board to fuzz pot,
two wires from board to tone pot,
one wire from DC jack to the board,
one ground wire to the board,
and the LED wire to the board.

I don't know if reading my old thread with the schematic helps but here's the link:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=112558.msg1039113#msg1039113
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

R.G.

You mean like "The Wrapper" from geofex.com, 2002?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Ben Lyman

Thanks R.G. I just googled wrapper geofex and I see some pretty useful stuff but it looks like it's all DPDT switches.
I'm wondering if it's okay to run my ground wire around like I did with it ending on the footswitch to activate the LED... or if there is anything at all wrong with doing it the way I've drawn it up.
                                                                          -S. Vai

lethargytartare

Your ground should be fine -- I've got pedals set up like that.  Everything in there looks OK, but with out the board pads, and without proper schematic symbols, I can't say if you have the right wires going to the right lugs, but the general map of the wires looks fine.

GibsonGM

If you're just interested in how to wire up the in/out, footswitch....http://www.tonepad.com/getfileinfo.asp?id=76

As said, for a specific effect we'd need the schematic and some time :)  Connections like Vol & Tone controls are specific to the effect...the above link should answer tons of questions for you, tho! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Ben Lyman

Thanks again, I was going to trust myself to get the board connected properly  :P
Mostly just concerned about the ground and the way I am hooking the LED to the switch.

I'm pretty sure that's how I did it on my last few pedals but I've never drawn up a picture of it before now. I have always just made it up as I was assembling it, using some pictures I've seen on the web and a little bit of common sense.

Everything I've made has been different from one to the next but I really want to come up with some kind of regular layout that I can just have ready to pop the board into.

This time, as I marked and drilled holes in the box, I wrote down every measurement. It's a ton of work, my hat goes off to you guys for making this all look so easy!

FWIW, my board is probably going to look something like one of these, the schematic can be found in my previous thread:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=112558.msg1039113#msg1039113

-S. Vai

GibsonGM

Cool. I use perf; I trained myself early on to just follow the schematic and lay things out on the fly in a way that kinda makes sense.  After a while, you can anticipate where certain things will go as you get familiar with BJT, opamp pins etc.   Some designs may be sensitive to layout, though - designer will usually note this.   Yours looks much neater :)  Mine goes faster, is all.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Ben Lyman

I have only been laying things out on the fly with plain perf too up until recently. I was getting plain perf from Radio Shack but they sold out and all I can find on the web is pad per hole, so this will only be my 3rd project with pad per hole. Also, my 3rd project using the DIY layout designer. The learning curve has slowed me down but I am getting used to it and (hopefully) getting faster. The best thing about it is spending more time in the warm house planning, and less time out in the freezing cold garage soldering!
                                                                          -S. Vai

duck_arse

Quote from: Ben Lyman on December 31, 2015, 02:54:16 PM

mmmmm, colours ..... now this is my kinda layout. [if you select all those green traces, you can then edit them to all the same colour or transpancey.] for my personal building, I like to do a seperation layout as well, just select and copy everything onto another board and then delete all the parts, leaving just the tracks.

Quote from: Ben Lyman on December 31, 2015, 04:34:42 PM
The best thing about it is spending more time in the warm house planning, and less time out in the freezing cold garage soldering!

this, sadly, also applie in the summer.
don't make me draw another line.