Happy New Year! Whatcha building?

Started by blackieNYC, December 31, 2015, 08:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nocentelli

Quote from: Pedalhead on January 02, 2016, 10:07:08 AM
Gonna have a go at Freppo's Into The Unknown Guitar Synth....

Tried it on vero: Fail. Going to buy the pcb.

Quote from: Pedalhead on January 02, 2016, 10:07:08 AMand attempt to build a ROG Tri-Vibe

Building it tonight (fingers crossed).
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Bill Mountain

No pics yet but I'm building a bass overdrive I've been tinkering with on and off for about a year.  Getting help from a local artist for the design work and a buddy is doing a PCB design for me (never quite got that hang of PCB software and I hate building more than one at a time on vero).  Gonna build a small run.  I've very excited about it.

This pedal is inspired by lots of other folk's work with linear biased CMOS inverters.  Basically it's a buffer into some Inverter stages for clipping.  Gotta lot of help from DIYSB over the years and I put a lot of that into the design.  My biggest influence on this was Craig Anderton's Tube Sound Fuzz.  It was the first pedal I ever built.

Working title is "The Pugilist" or maybe "The Machine that Won the War".  Gonna let the artist run with them and see what I like better.

Pedalhead

Quote from: nocentelli on January 02, 2016, 12:59:13 PM

Quote from: Pedalhead on January 02, 2016, 10:07:08 AMand attempt to build a ROG Tri-Vibe

Building it tonight (fingers crossed).

Yeah, I bought kits for those two.  :o Not something I usually do but I got so many pedal builds on my to do list that I don't mind cheating a bit. Probably cheaper anyways.

Marcos - Munky

Happy new year! My first ones gonna be an Obsidian and a fuzz for a bassist friend.

stringsthings

Quote from: nocentelli on January 02, 2016, 12:59:13 PM

Freppo's PCBs are very nice and easy to build with.

bluebunny

Got a couple "en route" during crimbo-hols: Blackstone OD for tame guitarist #1, multi-FX box for tame guitarist #2, Dimension-P chorus for luthier.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

blackieNYC

• SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

lethargytartare

Breadboarded a Noise Ensemble and it's a blast.  Moving on to a few of the mods in the thread for it before boxing it up.

Next up are a Crap-Fi Delay and a Clari(not)...a bit optimistic, but we'll see.

Also have to finish a big bunch of mods to a Boss DS-1 -- some tone changes, a bend, and the JHS synth mod...the thing is crammed with toggles, and I'm not sure how it's going to come together (physically), but we'll see.

I'd been away from the boards for quite a while, and am wowed by all the things that are in the hopper these days...awesome stuff! 

Happy 2016, everyone!

Transmogrifox

#1)  I need to finish the tube OD I started last year.  It's based around Peavey Classic 30 topology with a BMP style tone stack.  Operates of 320V B+, so it's a real preamp.  Got as far as getting the SMPS working and tubes wired in and biased up.  Just need to finish inter-stage circuits and tone stack.

#2)  rEAgenerated tremolo (need to order PCB's and parts). 

#3)  Next is the proximity wah I have been tweaking on my breadboard.  Most of the job remaining is wood work for the enclosure.  I want to name it "Wah'd Blah'k" so I will build it into a wood block with a thin layer of wood over the sensor plate so it just looks like a wedge of wood with 1/4" jacks and a DC power jack in it.  Maybe I'll do a wood-burned design if I'm feeling ambitious.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

bluebunny

Quote from: blackieNYC on January 04, 2016, 09:49:31 AM
What's going in the multi-fx, BB?

Just an overdrive, boost, delay and chorus collection living in one box.  (TS, Omega, Cave Dweller, Dim-P.)
  • SUPPORTER

Elijah-Baley

Easy question, Bluebunny: the delay goes in front of the chorus? Not in the end of this chain?
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

bluebunny

Not decided yet; I might make it switchable.
  • SUPPORTER

Elijah-Baley

Good! ;)
It is a trick I have learn.

Thanks!
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

valvefreak

Just finished the prototype of my ZVex Super Hard On clone, i did a compact version to fit into a guitar or bass.
->http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=96244.20

I'm still wating for the pcbs...

In the next few weeks/months I want to build a Meathead/Fuzz O))), looking forward to it :)
Don't let the magic smoke come out!

ubersam

Still trying to finish an smps powered tube preamp that I started early last year. I'm in the enclosure drilling stage which is about the least exciting stage of a project for me. Once that's finished and working, I'm thinking of some sort of one-knob booster in a 1590A, something mosfet or maybe an opamp.

bluebunny

Quote from: ubersam on January 05, 2016, 08:32:45 PM
I'm thinking of some sort of one-knob booster in a 1590A

My tame guitarist swears by Jack's Mosfet booster that I built him:

• SUPPORTER

SuzukiScottie

Just finished my Grant Distortion. I'll throw a pic up in the pictures thread.

ubersam

Quote from: bluebunny on January 06, 2016, 03:01:14 AM
My tame guitarist swears by Jack's Mosfet booster that I built him:
That's exactly what I had in mind. I really dig Jack's mini booster, built a few of them for myself and for friends, some were tweaked per info I read on Geofex. Since I already have that, I thought, time to try the mosfet booster.

The other circuit I'm interested in is the MXR Micro Amp. However, I'm not sold on the gain knob scheme and I'm still trying to find a single opamp equivalent of the LF353N.

duck_arse

LF353 was the NatSemi "equivalent" to the TI TL072, and the LF351 matches the TL071. that's what they told us in the parts shops around here 30 years ago, I still have more LF's than TL's.
don't make me draw another line.

ubersam

Quote from: duck_arse on January 07, 2016, 08:49:14 AM
LF353 was the NatSemi "equivalent" to the TI TL072, and the LF351 matches the TL071. that's what they told us in the parts shops around here 30 years ago, I still have more LF's than TL's.
Excellent! That's what I was beginning to think after reading the datasheets. The notable exceptions for me were the input noise & THD figures. The TL072 is quieter/cleaner. I "think" I'm hearing that difference and liking the higher noise/distortion the LF has. Maybe I'm just mental. Anyway, if I can't get  LF351, the TL081 is close.