Pedal pops when switching amp on and off

Started by justinrstout, January 04, 2016, 09:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinrstout

I built a simple order switching pedal with 3 input jacks, 3 output jacks, and a 3PDT toggle switch. The jacks are wired directly to the switch. The actual switching works fine, but there's a humongous pop whenever I turn my amp on or off. I have no idea what could be causing this since I'm not doing any bypassing or LEDs or anything complicated. Do I need a pull down resistor somewhere?

lucem

- Where does the pop occur exactly? Is it a measured signal surge in the pedals or is it the speaker popping when switching off the amp?
  Does this only happen when the switcher is in the circuit, or else as well?
- Where in the signal chain is the switcher exactly? Front of amp or effects loop?
- What kind of amplifier is this? Solid state or tube?
I aim to misbehave.

justinrstout

- It's somewhere in the pedals, the pop is "effected" depending on what effects are connected to the switcher.
- Only with the switcher
- In front of the amp, the output of the switcher goes to the input of the amp.
- Solid state bass amp

Groovenut

It sounds like there may be DC leakage at the amp input coming from the amp that is discharging when powering on and off. You might try measuring with a DMM to verify. If it is indeed there, check the input cap on the amp for leakage. How is the output of the switcher connected to signal ground? Resistor or is it floating?
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

justinrstout

Well I'm an idiot. It was another pedal entirely, but I had it turned off when testing without the switcher. Disregard.