News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Benco FUZZ!

Started by Ben Lyman, January 05, 2016, 12:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lyman

I can't believe I finally finished it... and it works!
Thanks to everyone for all the help in my other thread:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=112558.0

"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

Mark Hammer

V, T, F.  Well-legended.

I generally legend my pedals with rub-on transfers.  But you know what?  Those sheets NEVER come with enough Vs or Zs.  Legend one stinking pedal with "Fuzz", and you have to crack open a whole new sheet of letters.

So yeah: V, T, and F.  And if that isn't enough for anyone to remember what each knob does, then they don't deserve the effort someone put into building that pedal!

Ben Lyman

Maybe I'll call it the "Vot The Fock" Fuzz pedal  ;D
                                                                          -S. Vai

mcknib

Nice....like the wee touches like 'axe' certainly looks like it's outta the 60's your traces look nice too I'm having a nightmare doing a '74 phase 90 on perf.

Don't know whether to cut the component legs off and just run traces when the boards populated  or use them to join things up.

Ben Lyman

Thanks mcknib, and of course the other side says "AMP"
I definitely love a retro kinda style. I'm also very pleased with the "homemade look"
I tried to use the legs whenever possible but that also means it's near impossible to change any components. I had to make plenty of leads as well because of all the sockets.
                                                                          -S. Vai

mcknib

Cheers Ben I say nightmare probably more laziness on my part yours look nice and straight.

Using your own schem must give you a lot of satisfaction so well done to you Sir!

and I like the proposed name

Ben Lyman

thanks again mcknib and thanks Mark too for helping me name it!  ;D
Here are some sample vids I made, all at low volume and low quality but I'm loving it.

All by itself on high playing with the tone knob:

All by itself on low playing with the tone knob and a little guitar volume knobbing:

Stacked with my home made Ge Fuzz Face:

With my 197? Thomas Cry Baby:

With Fuzz Face AND Cry Baby!!!
                                                                          -S. Vai

mth5044

That's a nice looking perf job!

Ben Lyman

Thanks Mth5044, it's my 3rd time using pad per hole and the whole time I was soldering I kept thinking, "This looks like shite!" but I thought I'd show a pic anyway to see if I could get some tips from all you more experienced builders. I guess maybe it's sort of supposed to look kinda like that? Also, I was constantly dragging my scraper between all the solder tracks, gouging at the board looking to break any bridges. I don't think I ever found any but I was wondering if anyone else does that? I find it kinda amazing how the board defies bridging pads.
                                                                          -S. Vai