Experimental Delay & AmpMod from Noise Workshop

Started by knutolai, January 05, 2016, 06:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knutolai

moid

I finally (with the help of my son) managed to make a demo of my modified version of this pedal. Enjoy :)

Mushrooms in Shampoo -  Amidst the Ox Eyes - our new album!

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/album/amidst-the-ox-eyes

knutolai

Sounds great! Glad you've had so much fun with this thing :)

duck_arse

moid - that's what a demo is supposed to sound like (although I couldn't understand a word you were saying ....).
don't make me draw another line.

Kipper4

Nice Demo.

"although I couldn't understand a word you were saying ...."

That there is the Quins English Duck.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

moid

Quote from: knutolai on September 05, 2016, 05:35:39 AM
Sounds great! Glad you've had so much fun with this thing :)

It's great fun, thanks for designing it :)

Quote from: duck_arse on September 05, 2016, 10:55:34 AM
moid - that's what a demo is supposed to sound like (although I couldn't understand a word you were saying ....).

G'Day sport! Strewth maybe I'll just shift me prawns off the barbie and get me bloody mike out and do a more ripper job of it, just fer yew! But yer might have to learn proper Pom speak first, I'm kinda bushwacked and need to hit the hay before sparrow's fart tomorrer.

Hopefully that translated into the local dialect for duck_arse correctly :) I'll try to modify my normal aristocratic English accent when I speak to you in future if that helps... Hmmm or maybe I should just add subtitles in 'stralian' to the demo?

Quote from: Kipper4 on September 05, 2016, 11:55:13 AM
Nice Demo.

"although I couldn't understand a word you were saying ...."

That there is the Quins English Duck.

As she is spoke too! Cor blimey guv'nor, an' I was doing me very best not to swear or slip into c o c k ney so these foreign types would know what I was jabbering on abaht! Next time I'll just TALK LOUDLY UNTIL THEY UNDERSTAND! Always works that one, don'it?

moid

Thread Ressurection!

Hello everyone. While I was searching for some veroboard in my cupboard of parts I found a circuit that I had built 8 months ago that didn't work (the Pladask Elektrisk Odd Mod) and had a look at it, compared it with the layout I used and had one of those Eureka/you dumbass moments... One of my jumpers was going to the wrong row and of course that stopped the pedal from working (odd that, it's almost like it's actually important to get the components in the right holes; even in noise circuits!). So a little bit of re soldering (and replacing an LED that had also died) and the pedal lives! It is definitely on the wild side... perhaps too wild. I added one mod to tame it that someone suggested on another board (a switch to add a pink LED - I used purple, I didn't have pink - to pin 6 of the IC) that turns it into a powerful fuzz with a sputtery gate effect which is rather nice.

I'm mentioning this (apart from feeling smug from actually fixing one of my own builds) because I then looked back at this thread and noticed a comment from PRR on the first page:

Quote from: PRR on January 06, 2016, 01:21:26 AM
Interesting.

The Odd Mod may be more predictable if the external source comes through some resistance, so it does not fight the feedback but mixes nicely. 100K from IN to C3, R1 raised to 100K or to whatever works.

Experimentation needed.

"More predictable" may NOT be more interesting to the musicians.

When I use the pedal without the extra mod, it is a fierce noise machine - which is fun, but it never shuts up - there's either some really impressive high pitched frequencies that I can't hear anymore (but my wife and son, and the local bats, have made complaints about) that run constantly even when not playing (I can hear some of them, and others trigger my hearing aids to arpeggiate and stereo pan the sounds which was cool until I realised I'm the only person who can hear this!) or it ticks like metronome in a bad mood. I was wondering if PRR's comments about making it more predictable would be for removing those sorts of noises? I say this because it does make some great sounds (excellent ring mod, it can do an good octave down as well, and some weird tremolo noises and odd electronic baby birds calling for food) it's just that these are accompanied by constant oscillating high pitch noise or ticking which are just as loud as the 'musical' parts of the signal. Being somewhat old fashioned, I like my noise synths to shut up when I'm not actually playing anything (or at least not tick / constantly shriek at me!) Thanks for your thoughts!

moid

Quote from: PRR on January 06, 2016, 01:21:26 AM
Interesting.

The Odd Mod may be more predictable if the external source comes through some resistance, so it does not fight the feedback but mixes nicely. 100K from IN to C3, R1 raised to 100K or to whatever works.

Experimentation needed.

"More predictable" may NOT be more interesting to the musicians.

Hi PRR
In the interests of science (plus I was sick of the constant ticking noise this pedal makes) I cut the wire that connected the 3PDT switch and the input of the board and placed a 100K resistor in the gap and soldered it back together (I assume that places it before C3 like you said). This stopped any guitar sound from going through the pedal, leaving me with just loud ticking. I haven't yet replaced R1 on the board so perhaps the issue is because I didn't try both parts of your suggestions? Anyway here is where it gets weird... I then thought, perhaps 100K is too much, so unsoldered the resistor and used crocodile clips to connect a 100K pot in, where the 3PDT connected to lug 3 and the wiper connected to the board. That way I thought I could try adjusting the value of the pot to see if there was a happy spot and then measure that value (seemed logical to me anyway). No matter what the pot was set to, no audio would go through, only ticking... if I put an audio probe on lug 3 of the pot at 0K resistance of the pot I only heard ticking, if I increaed resistance to 100K there was a lot less ticking and the guitar audio also came through. However when I ran an audio probe on lug 2 (where the audio should be going to the board) I could only hear ticking... which makes no sense to me... maybe the pot needs to be soldered in to make a better connection? I did try a 1M pot which when set to about 150K or more resistance completely removed ticking on lug 3, leaving only audio, but when I listened to lug 2 I could only hear ticking.

Would you happen to know if I should remove R1 as well and replace that with a 100K, or if I should try something else? At the moment the pedal will not pass sound - I have tried connecting the two ends of the cut cable together with a couple of crocodile clips and my DMM says I have continuity all the way from the 3PDT switch, through the cable and crocodile clips into the board, but no audio goes through (which in my mind it should do - it did before I cut the cable!). Presumably cutting that cable has freaked the circuit out in some weird way and now all I have is a ticking metronome?

moid

I tried re soldering that cut cable together and the circuit still will not let any guitar through, weird how cutting a cable has totally freaked the circuit out... I guess this one is going in the 'for spares/scrap ' box.