Adding low end to a boost (earthquaker devices)

Started by StevenJM, January 06, 2016, 11:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenJM

So this might sound funny, but I love the Arrows pedal by EQD because it's real clear with a mids/high focused boost and doesn't get a muddy low end... But I am wanting to add a little more low end than it currently has.

I play bass through an orange ad200 and this pedal really opens up that amp, it just rolls off too much low end.  Ive tried a few clean boosts and the boosted low end mixed with the orange's tone is a little too much lows....

The cap on the input is a .0047uf cap.  Would swapping this to something like a 1 or .1uf give me a better low end?  I'm hoping it doesn't change the voicing of the pedal too much.  I'm trying to avoid a muddy low end.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Groovenut

Since you didn't say what the input ground reference resistor value was, it's hard to guess at where the current high pass filter knee is. But a decent enough rule of thumb is to increase by a factor of ten and let your ears decide.

So if there is currently a .0047uF cap at the input, try increasing it to .047uF and see if its enough. If not try .47uF and so on until your ears tell you it where you want it.

You've got to love obsolete technology.....

StevenJM

Quote from: Groovenut on January 07, 2016, 12:11:52 AM
Since you didn't say what the input ground reference resistor value was, it's hard to guess at where the current high pass filter knee is. But a decent enough rule of thumb is to increase by a factor of ten and let your ears decide.

So if there is currently a .0047uF cap at the input, try increasing it to .047uF and see if its enough. If not try .47uF and so on until your ears tell you it where you want it.

Thanks!  I'll find out that resistor in the morning.  I have a pic saved in my phone but it's hard to make out the colors.  I can't tell if one band is brown or purple.  But it might be a 1.6M ohm resistor.  (If I'm looking at it right... I'm still pretty new to this stuff)

antonis

Quote from: StevenJM on January 07, 2016, 12:25:21 AM
But it might be a 1.6M ohm resistor.
Most possible it might be a 1M5 resistor, which gives you a cut-off frequnecy of 23 Hz (with the 4n7 cap)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

StevenJM

Quote from: antonis on January 07, 2016, 07:53:33 AM
Quote from: StevenJM on January 07, 2016, 12:25:21 AM
But it might be a 1.6M ohm resistor.
Most possible it might be a 1M5 resistor, which gives you a cut-off frequnecy of 23 Hz (with the 4n7 cap)

Cool, thanks... Should I swap this resistor out too, or should I get by fine with just trying different caps?  I might use a socket and swap between 4n7, 47n, .47uf caps until I hear what I'm shooting for.

PRR

Leave the resistor alone.

Up-size caps to taste.

However the un-muddy and the weak bass may be the same sides of the same coin. More bass, more mudd. If you are obsessed, you may try small changes of cap and strict limits on your lowest note, to find the musically-best compromise for your axe and amp and genre.
  • SUPPORTER

StevenJM

Quote from: PRR on January 07, 2016, 03:50:08 PM
Leave the resistor alone.

Up-size caps to taste.

However the un-muddy and the weak bass may be the same sides of the same coin. More bass, more mudd. If you are obsessed, you may try small changes of cap and strict limits on your lowest note, to find the musically-best compromise for your axe and amp and genre.

That's what I'm thinking and afraid of... But I think this pedal sounds good as is, so if I can just add a touch more bass before it gets muddy then I'll be satisfied. 

Thanks for the help everyone.  I appreciate it!!