how to isolate ground in a box receptacle with 3 1.5A diodes??

Started by FaithElectronix, January 07, 2016, 04:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FaithElectronix

both amps have 2A normal blo fuses. Both 90Ws??? I also have plenty of resistors.??? Need help!
S.K. Latham

FaithElectronix

the receptacle is one that I am making. Not the one in the wall.
S.K. Latham

FaithElectronix

is a ground isolator box in between my pedal board to one of my amps..??

or even 2 stereo inputs and 2 ster. amp output box. Where one amp has a controlled/ isolated ground. and both have a volume knob or kill switch. The only switches I have only have 3 prongs on one side. I'm running a fairly large pedal board into 2 amp heads, into one cab @ 8ohm Stereo. Which is the easiest to make and which would be most efficient and ambient sounding??
S.K. Latham

idy

What is the problem that will be fixed by isolating one of the grounds?

Are you talking about an AC box or or a speaker or a pedal board? Are you used to dealing with line voltage?

Where are these 1.5 amp diodes? In a box? What kind of box?

If this is just something between your pedal board and two amps, maybe you need a box with two MXR microamps in it, two volume controls. I used a four pole bypass stomp on mine, but these are kind of clicky (i never turn mine off...) You can wire the input/output jacks so it works as a mixer or a splitter! (mono to stereo, stereo to mono.)

idy

Mine runs on a charge pump. More headroom that all the other pedals, last in line, drive an amp or get "line level."

FaithElectronix

The diodes are new i have from a fix on another pcb. I either; A: Use them for something like this. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CuvDMjxhE68.

It a simple aby pedal. With no leds. Just basically a splitter box just like a cable splitter. And use each single throw switch as a kill switch for each amp. And just use the above box to eliminate ground loop without removing ground completely.

Yes im familiar with electrical AC and DC. Electronics i'm more um intermediate. Haha
S.K. Latham

idy

Still don't get the connection between the ground lifter for the AC and an ab/y splitter for your dual amp setup. These are two seperate ideas? Lifting AC ground and/or lifting audio ground?

The guy on the video seems sort of clueless.

What kind of hum problems are you experiencing? Could it be a problem with one of the amps? Not the pickups?

The question wasn't whether you knew AC from DC but rather whether you know enough (and have the practical experience) to wire AC "up to code." It's an important ritual around here. When a new guy starts asking vague ungrammatical questions about combining AC with something they saw on YouTube, the prudent thing is to ask.

FaithElectronix

Ahh, I see. I have fixed the hum. I was iffy about, the receptacle idea, all together. Turned out to be how I was runnig my pedal board. Now instead of an ab/y. I gutted my old line 6 fbv2 footswitch.
I kept the two single pole switches. (They only have three prongs.) I wanted to make a y splitter pedal with 2 ins and 2 outs. Using the switches as a killswitch one for one amp, the other for the other? Would this work?

Well I can't add the picture I drew now...But, in words... (on pedal) A amp input, wire from tip of jack to middle pole of the switch and from the top pole of the switch to A output Tip? and a wire from A amp's In and Out sleeve connector? Doing the same for B amp?? Or would the sleeve of the input jack go to the switch?????????? 

S.K. Latham

idy

The switches in your Line6 footswitch controller may not work as they may well be momentary contact (to allow you to scroll through a digital units menu) and not latching. Unless that is what  you want, a "kill" switch that momentarily turns one amp off as long as your foot is holding the switch down.
Any meter will tell you if this is so.

If you do have two switches of the type you want (momentary or latching) then yes, you could do something. But you will probably want to ground the amp input when you "kill" its sound.

So the switch would have the tip of the amp jack going to the middle of the switch. One pole terminal goes to the ground of the amp jack. The other goes to the tip of the input. All grounds together (both/all jacks.) You would repeat this for both A and B.

FaithElectronix

I don't think they are momentary, could you draw up a sketch for me? I have 2 mono jacks and 2 stereo available to use. I just wanna have it in my head before, I start on it.
S.K. Latham

FaithElectronix

Just a little picture doodle would work, My jacks are these type.

S.K. Latham

FaithElectronix

Quote from: FaithElectronix on January 09, 2016, 08:53:22 AM
I don't think they are momentary, could you draw up a sketch for me? I have 2 mono jacks and 2 stereo available to use. I just wanna have it in my head before, I start on it.

If they are momentary, I can get 2 more switches. I might do that regardless. I will be getting the double pole though. I'm pretty sure, that I get it. With a picture, I can get it right away.
S.K. Latham

idy

You will make two of these. All grounds together unless you have some reason not to.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/diyuser/kill+switch.jpeg.html

Now note: this is not guaranteed to be silent! Mechanical switches may pop or at least click! But here at the end of the signal chain the level should be higher compared to noises, unlike using it before a highgain fuzz for example. If you get clicks that annoy you you will probably need to go to relays or optos or something.

At least it's a cheap experiment, and unlikely to "kill" you.

PS: the image didn't show up when put between the img brackets. Can't remember why this is...

idy

P.S. You will get more action on the forum if you post things where they belong. This was posted under "beginner project" a forum only for a specific simple boost pedal offered to beginners. Says so in the title.

The first forum on the list is "building your own stomp box."

You can also use the search function for "kill switch." But this word is really only used for momentary switches. Maybe "mute" is better.

Hatredman

Quote from: idy on January 09, 2016, 01:26:04 PMYou can also use the search function for "kill switch."

If he did that, he'd get to the Burst Box thread.
Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

FaithElectronix

Lol same pedal. Just went to get switches. Understanding, it will basically, wire the same. But, i could only get, on / off DPDT arm style switches. Would the picture, be the correct way to wire it? To control the "mute to individual amps". Also, this is only amp a. The box contains, a B amp, as well. So would wiring be different, with these switches, when running through both amps. My stereo, reverb and delay pedals, i want to run in stereo. Sounding so ambient trustith. Lol. I am competent in this area. I understand, what needs to be done. I just use different terminology and honestly, just love the "diy aspect", of my favorite and first love. Making Music. I would prefer to do it right. :) Added for my, good sense of humor, in regards to the responses off topic. Good one.
S.K. Latham

idy

The drawing, the last thing you posted, is almost impossible to make sense out of. And the picture is cropped so part of it is missing.
Try another drawing. And make it so we can see the whole thing.