Sustain and Saturation for Distortion Pedal

Started by Yggda, January 10, 2016, 10:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricDruid

I doubt if the unity-gain amp will make any difference compared with the non-inverting one. They're basically the same thing. I only pointed you at the unity-gain one because it's marginally simpler for a quick test, but if you've made the other one work, that's cool. It's a very useful circuit.

The only difference is the gain. You've got 50K/10K+1 = x6 gain on that first stage. What's the signal level going in?

Tom

Yggda

Quote from: ElectricDruid on January 24, 2016, 09:49:30 AM
What's the signal level going in?

I don`t have any equipment to measure this one. It is connected to the guitar output. Sources say that RMS voltage is about 100mV for Epiphone LesPaul Secial II.

Yggda

Can it caused by 9V battery?

Quote from: Wikipedia
When a common power supply is used for several stages of amplification, the supply voltage may vary with the changing current in the output stage

or ...where can I have "parasitic feedback"?

Thanks

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Yggda on January 27, 2016, 08:50:24 AM
Can it caused by 9V battery?

Unlikely. Not impossible.

Quote from: Wikipedia
When a common power supply is used for several stages of amplification, the supply voltage may vary with the changing current in the output stage

I don't know which article that's from, but it sounds more like they're talking about high-power output stages pulling the supply voltage down. This was common in Fender guitar amps and became a desirable "character" rather than a flaw. In those amps, it's known as "power sag".
Anyway, it's not something you'd have to worry about in a pedal.

The supply voltage dropping is usually caused by a short circuit, or a very low resistance across the power rails. In either situation, you need to find the cause rather than "fix" it by providing a high-current supply.

Tom

Yggda

Hi,

On the scheme there is a ground connection nearby "negative" battery output. However, in the real circuit the ground is the negative battery connection.

I just think that the potential of battery is floating, while the amplifier ground is const 0 ---> that cause the "waving".

Can that be true? How to connect the pedal to the ground if it is not in the metal box?  :)

Thank you!

Yggda

Hi,

I tried a lot of different things with grounding - the result was the same.  After, I tried to eliminate circuit parts to detect the source of waves - and found that even with the straight guitar connection to the amp - the sound was waving  :D

duck_arse

was it waving goodbye?

so now you need to find out what is waving, and you have only three choices, the axe, the amp, or the cord betweeen.
don't make me draw another line.

wilrecar77

In my experience, a guitar with the pickups too close to the strings can cause a "waving" sound like that. Try lowering your pickups.