generic op amp

Started by cupbearer, August 23, 2003, 05:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cupbearer

often times in schematics i see the term " generic opamp" used.  what kind of a chip is that?  Thanks in advance.  toby.

Paul Marossy

My guess would be that "generic opamp" refers to the old standbys, such as a MC1458 dual opamp, or a 741 single opamp. I have found that you can use almost any opamp in place of another one, as long as it's a similar type. For example, a 741 could be replaced with a OPA134 with no problems. But if you tried a TS271 (I think that's the number) single opamp, it won't work because it is a CMOS chip and the associated circuitry required will be a little different than a "standard" opamp.

Jay Doyle

I assume that "generic opamp" means any opamp with the same package (single, double, quad) and the same or better power supply requirements.

Other than that it is all open.

Some situations require an opamp that has special characteristics, like the TLC272 which can swing rail to rail, or the LM324 which can run from single power supplies.

Full Wave Rectifiers and the circuitry to adjust the signal out of a FWR (attack, decay controls for example) may need special requirements depending on how they are designed. BUT I would assume that the designer wouldn't have put "generic opamp" on the schematic for those parts.

Jay Doyle