Burned out pedal, help

Started by UndeadGamer, January 22, 2016, 01:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UndeadGamer

So, i got a pedal a few years ago and it just stop working. Before it stopped I smelled something buring and it turned out to be my pedal. What should I do? My pedal didn't burn out due to too much voltage, becasue I was just using a normal 9V battery. I tried changing the battery, but it didn't work. I opened it and it smells like something burned. Is there a way that I can fix it with out buying a whole new motherboard? Can I just change the IC's or anyother parts and make it work again?

Somethings that probably or prbably wont help are: I always left my battery in it, I used the pedal a lot, before it burned out, I smelled something burning, and I was wiffing around the chip and it smells like the IC's are burned.

P.S I have a Boss MT-2 pedal, not sure if that'll make any difference

GibsonGM

Hi Undead...welcome to the forum!  As far as just fixing it - that depends on how much you know about soldering, using a meter, and that stuff. VERY do-able, but some small skills are required.  Have you worked on things before, like guitar wiring, etc?   It's up to you whether you fix, replace, or trash the pedal and just spend $40-$80 on a new one....

Check this post out, and re-post the info back in here if you can provide it:  http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

Pedals typically don't just "burn out", altho it seemed that way.  There is going to be a short or some other issue there, that caused this.  Opening the back and looking for 'charring' or whatever, may tell you a lot...

Getting that info for "Debugging" is the only way we will know what's up with the pedal...could be a toasted protective diode, a blown cap, or yes, the IC - caused by a loose connection touching ground, or something like that...let us know what you can come up with...good luck!  :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

bluebunny

+1

And photos.

And also welcome.   :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

+1

''I was wiffing around the chip''

and thanks for the laugh.. ;D
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

GibsonGM

Quote from: deadastronaut on January 22, 2016, 12:59:19 PM
+1

''I was wiffing around the chip''

and thanks for the laugh.. ;D

To clarify - did you use a Whiff-o-scope, to be sure it was the chip and not a cap or something??  Often, a small piece of surgical tubing is handy to use for whiffing...it gets you right in close to the part you think you burned up   ;)  If you've let the magical blue smoke out of the part, chances are it won't work anymore...

Just kidding, Undead!  It takes a little time to figure out how to debug...stick with it, and we will walk you thru it!  :) 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...