"NoCrackleSHO" Super Hard On clone (issues boosting)

Started by StevenJM, January 23, 2016, 11:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenJM

I can include the link to the vero layout I used, but my volume knob isnt boosting right.  From 0-50% there's no effect, and then from 50%-full it seems to be doing all of the boosting.

Is there a common reason/fix as to why this would be happening?  I've looked over my board 100 times and everything seems to be right.   :icon_confused:

ubersam

What schematic are you using? It looks to me like you have a 1M pot wired as a variable resistor between the input cap and the gate, then you have the source shorted to ground. Anyway, I'm guessing that the pot is audio taper. Try a Linear taper pot and see if that sweeps the boost better.

nocentelli

The "no crackle SHO" schematic shows a reverse audio (1MC) pot for the variable input level control. If you've used an audio 1MA that would probably give the exact symptoms you've described.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Fast Pistoleros

replace r2 and r3 with 10 meg resistors and use a C5K or  B5K linear pot

should lug 3 go to the source or row F ? and remove the jumper from the source to ground like the previous poster mentioned

this is s bad layout me thinks lol

nocentelli

No, it's not a bad layout, it's a layout for the "no crackle SHO", despite the thread title calling it a SHO clone. The crackly source-to-ground pot of the original SHO is replaced by a jumper and gain is controlled by varying the input series resistance with the pot wired as shown on the layout.

Search google for "crackle not ok" for the schematic.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

StevenJM

Quote from: nocentelli on January 24, 2016, 10:03:56 AM
No, it's not a bad layout, it's a layout for the "no crackle SHO", despite the thread title calling it a SHO clone. The crackly source-to-ground pot of the original SHO is replaced by a jumper and gain is controlled by varying the input series resistance with the pot wired as shown on the layout.

Search google for "crackle not ok" for the schematic.

*Fixed the title for any confusion...  I was thinking it might be an issue with using an audio vs linear log pot.  I don't know if I care enough to fix it at the moment, but was curious if it was a simple problem to fix just for future reference.  I've been building a lot more pedals recently and haven't had this issue with any other builds.

Gus

I guess I missed this take on a mosfet boost.
Is it one of the  circuits as in this link?http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.com/2012/01/zvex-super-hard-on-sho.html

The drain to gate resistor drops the input resistance at the gate node and this take on the circuit is set at max gain (source to ground) so IMO all you get is a more damageable gain device (the mosfet).

I think a BJT set-up would be better think BMP biasing like in the first gain stage

Fast Pistoleros

Quote from: Gus on January 24, 2016, 05:31:58 PM
I guess I missed this take on a mosfet boost.
Is it one of the  circuits as in this link?http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.com/2012/01/zvex-super-hard-on-sho.html

The drain to gate resistor drops the input resistance at the gate node and this take on the circuit is set at max gain (source to ground) so IMO all you get is a more damageable gain device (the mosfet).

I think a BJT set-up would be better think BMP biasing like in the first gain stage

hey thanks for posting the link, that was a great read for me !

so basically it defeats the purpose of the effects taking away the high impedance level? Same for the crackle, it is supposed to be simulating an old console and it seems the effect from the article is built around biasing the source on the fet and not grounding it ?