The thing that only eats Dremel bits

Started by Dito, January 25, 2016, 05:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dito

Imagine you're me. A beginner in this field. You've ordered a parts kit. And an enclosure, but you ordered the box from somewhere else, because you're a beginner and wanted it pre-painted. You could have bought a drilled but not painted box with the kit, but you wanted the pro paint job.

However, the kit shows up with a 5mm LED and the enclosure with a 3mm LED hole. You've got lots of 3mm LEDs from old "teach-yourself-electronics" kits, but no 3mm bezels. You don't have a drill press or a stepped drill bit. But you have a Dremel tool, widely regarded for it's ability to cut and chew through anything. Seems like a perfect choice, doesn't it? You do have a set of calipers and a variety of grinding bits. Wait. Rephrase that. You HAD a variety of grinding bits.

I suppose we can call this an endorsement of Mammoth enclosures and their ruggedness. 2mm increase in hole size, three bits destroyed in the process. Adding 3mm bezels to my wish list right now...

-Dito

(ps: a cookie for whoever "gets" the old-school punk reference in this thread's title)
"All that's left of me is slight insanity / What's on the right, I don't know." - Sugar (Bob Mould), Hoover Dam

armdnrdy

The aluminum from the enclosure is getting deposited on the bits....rendering them useless.

Use a drill bit...preferably...a step bit.  ;)
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

stallik

Get a tapered reamer. They're cheap and highly effective hand tools. To ream those holes would take only a few seconds. Would put a picture up but can't from here. Anyone else?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

stallik

Thanks Rich. Never thought of a link, must be jet lag. This is the kind I was referring to...
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/model-craft-tapered-reamer-3-16mm-r44lk
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

davent

Reamer; forever handy!

Grinders, as mentioned, wrong tool for the job.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Dito

Quote from: davent on January 25, 2016, 05:35:21 PM
Grinders, as mentioned, wrong tool for the job.
dave

As mentioned, and as I have learned. At the expense of my Dremel bits and my lovely decal.
"All that's left of me is slight insanity / What's on the right, I don't know." - Sugar (Bob Mould), Hoover Dam

blackieNYC

Dremel metal routing bits are better than what you've shown. For odd shapes.
+1:Step bit and reamer
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Fast Pistoleros

yeop, get a drill gun and a step bit . take steps whilst drilling not to scratch it up !

plexi12000

PRR

You can't grind pot-metal (zinc aluminum alloys).

You can't jam a tapered tool into a hole and turn it unless the tool is VERY good about torque (stone aint, and I would not be keen about Dremel cutters either).

The hand reamer is the right tool, and lasts a lifetime.

The wrong tool is scissors. I have done that many times. Go easy, scissor blades are not tough in twisting.

I do not see a call for a "drill press". A $5 hand drill ("egg beater") and a $5 bit-set would do this job plus many jobs around the house, even most electronics-stuff. I don't think I even had a power drill until I was drilling holes in car frames. 

You might be amazed what strong coffee and a rat-tail file will do faster than you can clean-off a drill-press (they collect odd stuff).
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

Quote from: Dito on January 25, 2016, 05:06:00 PM
You've got lots of 3mm LEDs from old "teach-yourself-electronics" kits, but no 3mm bezels.

Why bezels?  Just dab a spot of superglue and fix the LED directly into the 3mm hole.

+1 for the hand reamers, btw.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Dito

Quote from: bluebunny on January 26, 2016, 02:58:40 AMWhy bezels?  Just dab a spot of superglue and fix the LED directly into the 3mm hole.

+1 for the hand reamers, btw.

Perfectionist is the reason for a bezel. Looks neater and cleaner to my eye.

Is this the kind of reamer I'm looking for?

Woodstock D4140 Repairman's Taper Reamer

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005W17DFC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_dL6Pwb3TN9P39

Thanks, all, for the tips (and mild scolding). Gotta use the right tool for the job, and I clearly did not.

davent

Looks fine to me, 1/8 - 5/8" covers your standard pedal holes.

I'm sure we've all had similar similar screw-ups, at least i have, it's all part of the learning process, no big deal?

Have fun!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Dito

Yep. Keep on learning. I thought for sure one of those cone-shaped Dremel bits would go right through that box.

For the record, I eventually did get the hole large enough, but tool slippage resulted in a long deep gash across the front. At first I thought it just tore the decal, but no such luck. So I ordered a new box and some 3mm bezels(!) and will resume work in about a week or so.

Dito

Since no one answered the "get a free cookie" riddle at the end of my original post, I'll answer it. You're welcome.

Thanks again for all the help. It's honestly appreciated.

rullywowr

I agree, tapered reamer (harbor freight in the usa has them) is the way to go.

I'd recommend you try flat top 3mm LEDs. Cheap assortments available on eBay.
DIY Pedal PCB projects IN STOCK
www.rullywow.com

Ben Lyman

I'm gonna grab a reamer at Harbor Freight, I guess it's a good tool to have around, huh? I got my 3-piece titanium step drill bit set there for $6.99! Indispensable tools they have become!
:icon_question: not trying to hijack, but is the reamer a good way to de-burr the holes after drilling? Is there a better tool for this? I've been using a small pocket knife  :P
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

Dito

I actually have a set of small thin metal files. From Harbor Freight, no less. I suspect those would do the trick. But I've been wrong before (see above).

davent

No good for deburring holes, either a larger bit, you could use the step bit or there is a hole deburrer you can get. I would imagine Harbor Freight. They don't cost much, Princess Auto in canada.