Ibanez CP9 not compressing

Started by BDuguay, January 26, 2016, 12:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDuguay

Quote from: PRR on January 31, 2016, 07:07:36 PM
> no change to the voltage reading of 9.6VDC.

Do you see how the circuit works? Use my snippet image.

Output signal comes in on the right. Is it getting to that point? Rightmost transistor makes two equal/opposite outputs, is there signal at both?

The pair in the middle idle "OFF" and turn-ON when signal hits 0.6V peak. When they turn on, they pull-down through the Attack pot, makes the 10/16 cap fall from 9V to some low voltage.

I'm thinking a bad signal path to the rightmost transistor, or a no-connection around the Attack pot.
Okay, I just checked with my audio probe and the signal is present at both sides of the transistor on the right (collector and emitter) and shows again at the base of the left of the pair in the middle but that's where it stops. It does not appear at the collector of that transistor.
Any other troubleshoot and I would guess that transistor needs to be looked at but now I'm afraid to ask anything for fear of further revealing my ignorance. :icon_redface:
B.

PRR

> signal is present ... ... at the base of the left of the pair in the middle but that's where it stops. It does not appear at the collector of that transistor.

If the signal is BIG (somewhat louder than hot guitar level), then these transistors' collectors should go down (DC Volts) and stay there, slowly decaying up when signal stops. Does it?
  • SUPPORTER

BDuguay

I just tried this and there's no change. The DC voltage on that collector(s) junction is 9.6 volts no matter how hard I hit the strings.
B.

PRR

Replace those transistors. Silicon NPN, specs not critical.

This does open the question of why they blew. I'd feel better if the "Attack" pot could not go lower than 100 Ohms.
  • SUPPORTER

BDuguay

I took them out and replaced with 2N3904's, with the Base and Collector oriented proper, and it's still not working right.
I hate to be a pain but is there anything else to look at?
Thanks,
B.

PRR

> I hate to be a pain

Dunno if you are a pain; this pedal sure is getting to be one.

Back up. What is the history?? Factory made, DIY, worked good until today, never worked.... ??
  • SUPPORTER

BDuguay

It's an actual Ibanez CP9 and I think it was a trade in. It's in very good shape and shows no sign of being modded or repaired in the past.
I'm not sure of it's history regarding when it worked and when it didn't.
B.

PRR

Replace the right-most transistor in my snippet. If it has gone short C-B it will hold the control voltage high.

Re-re-search for broken joints. Someone else says it helped him, and you say yours fell off your lap. Maybe you have not found all the bad joints.
  • SUPPORTER