Change reverb size for a Belton BTDR-2H

Started by Bassisst90, January 28, 2016, 12:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassisst90

Hey guys, I know this is probably a stupid question or a long shot but does anyone know of a way to change the length or size of the reverb for the BTDR-2H? I know that since each brick is short medium or long, but I just wondered if there was a way for me to change the apparent size of the reverb space without having to buy all the sizes and wire them with a 3p3t switch. If anyone has an idea, I'm all ears. I'm thinking of using this with the CHASM reverb at the moment. Good sound.
Thank you all in advance for your time and patience

mth5044

Might be easier to retrofit to Brick 3H to the Chasm circuit rather than try to squeeze three of the brick 2's in an enclosure. The 3H has adjustable decay.

Bassisst90

I didn't think of that, and after looking at the application it's the exact same pins with a dual depth pot. Seems simple enough. I'm just curious if there are any other options as well, since it's out of stock at Smallbear right now

samhay

Short answer: That's what the regeneration 'Decay' control is for.

Longer answer: Before the BTDR-3 was released, the best approach to controlling delay was (and maybe still is) to feed some of the signal back to the input of the brick. If you use a short brick with the Decay ccw, you have the shortest delay you can get. Then, as you increase the Delay, you should get progressively longer Delay / reverb 'length'.

Which brick - S, M, L - do you have already?
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

Bassisst90

I have the long delay right now. So would I have to take a feed from the output of the brick and send it to the input and control it with a pot? Would I have to buffer it or just take a direct signal?

I'm sorry I may have misunderstood. Are you saying that the decay control on the Chasm reverb already controls the delay? If so, maybe mine isn't working properly, because it doesn't seem to change the delay all that much

samhay

>Are you saying that the decay control on the Chasm reverb already controls the delay?

Decay control works like a repeats control on a delay. In this sense, it increases the length of the reverb.

>maybe mine isn't working properly...

Does the oscillation switch work? If so, then it is probably working properly.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

Bassisst90

Alright, mine seems to work then. Maybe I can try larger potentiometers and see if it will change the decay even more. Thanks for the replies by the way fellas

mdeffects

A little late in responding to this, but I was wondering how exactly you would go about feeding some of the signal back into the input of the brick? I would love to be able to increase the decay time of the brick, longer than it typically can be set to.

Groovenut

Quote from: mdeffects on October 20, 2016, 02:43:57 PM
A little late in responding to this, but I was wondering how exactly you would go about feeding some of the signal back into the input of the brick? I would love to be able to increase the decay time of the brick, longer than it typically can be set to.
Have a look at this one.

The dwell controls the amount and hence the depth of the reverb.
You've got to love obsolete technology.....