First Overdrive based on Blue Collar

Started by DottJ, January 28, 2016, 08:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DottJ

Hi all,
this is the first post for me. :) Some weeks ago i've play the Blue Collar first series and i fall in love with it. Last week i've found a Menatone Blue Collar v3 used and i've bought it . Unfortunatelly the sound was very, very, very different from the first series. I mean it sounds good but the sound is different. What i'm asking is that: I'm able to solder and i built several guitars but i know very very very basic concepts of the electronics. in your opinion would i be able to build the Blue Collar Menatone first series having the schema? Is there anyone who has just built it? There is some manual or video that I can follow? thank you very much!!!!

duck_arse

hello DottJ.

(you might ask a moderator to move this thread to the building your own stompbox area, where many more people will look at it.)

if you can find a circuit diagram matching the box you have in hand, and also a diagram for the version you want it to be, then we can maybe tell you what where will matter. but we need a circuit diagram to start with, and it might mean you'll need to trace one out from your pedal.
don't make me draw another line.

Dito

Well, here's a link to a Veroboard layout of an "early version" Blue Collar Menatone project:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/06/menatone-blue-collar-early-version.html

Sounds pretty snazzy in the video. I'll take one if you're building extras.
"All that's left of me is slight insanity / What's on the right, I don't know." - Sugar (Bob Mould), Hoover Dam

DottJ

Thank you very much. i've found two pictures, i think they are the right diagram.
:)

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.it/2012/06/menatone-blue-collar-early-version.html
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb41/JHSNRW/early_Blue_Collar.gif

Quote from: duck_arse on January 28, 2016, 09:24:08 AM
hello DottJ.

(you might ask a moderator to move this thread to the building your own stompbox area, where many more people will look at it.)

if you can find a circuit diagram matching the box you have in hand, and also a diagram for the version you want it to be, then we can maybe tell you what where will matter. but we need a circuit diagram to start with, and it might mean you'll need to trace one out from your pedal.

DottJ

Hi, this is where i have found the diagram.
The menatone in the video is not the first series but it sounds very similar instead the v3 no.

I want to try to build one instead buy one for 180 $ used.

Quote from: Dito on January 28, 2016, 06:15:52 PM
Well, here's a link to a Veroboard layout of an "early version" Blue Collar Menatone project:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/06/menatone-blue-collar-early-version.html

Sounds pretty snazzy in the video. I'll take one if you're building extras.

DottJ

Hi all,
so no one would help me? ??? ??? :o :o

i need some one who could follow me step by step during this wonderful adventure... 8) 8) 8)

Who want to be my buddy?? :D :D :D :D

Dito

Have you been able to check that the vero layout I found isn't the one you want?

The video says it's the newer version, but the layout specifically says EARLY VERSION.

Alternatively, you could ask elsewhere in this forum if anyone knows the difference, or how to get the sound you're after.

-Dito
"All that's left of me is slight insanity / What's on the right, I don't know." - Sugar (Bob Mould), Hoover Dam

PBE6

It looks like a very straightforward build, basically a modified and stripped down Tubescreamer. I'll make it a point to check in on this thread as things progress if you like.

Do you have the parts already?

DottJ

Hi, i know that the last series is based in the first series but with better components i suppose that the schema is the same.

I have the possibility to make all the picture you want of the blue collar first series becouse a friend of my have one.

It is usefull?

Quote from: Dito on January 30, 2016, 10:09:10 AM
Have you been able to check that the vero layout I found isn't the one you want?

The video says it's the newer version, but the layout specifically says EARLY VERSION.

Alternatively, you could ask elsewhere in this forum if anyone knows the difference, or how to get the sound you're after.

-Dito

Dito

At this point, I really can't help much more. I'm a beginner as well. I'll refer you back to what Mr. duck_arse said earlier:

I have no idea how to do that, but I know other people here do. I wish you lots of luck.

-Dito

DottJ

Hi, no i havn't parts.
Before buy something i ask if in you opinion it is possibile to build one.
I have build 5 guitar from the Wood ( not prebuild part ) so i have good manual skill but i know very very basic electronics.
I start reading this forum.
If there is someone who could follow me step by step. I have fear to build all the parts but to not finish the work for my incompetence...

Quote from: PBE6 on January 30, 2016, 10:09:37 AM
It looks like a very straightforward build, basically a modified and stripped down Tubescreamer. I'll make it a point to check in on this thread as things progress if you like.

Do you have the parts already?

DottJ

Hi
Thanks but the diagram in i have post in the link isn't good? I think the one "early blue collar" is good. No?
Thanks!

Quote from: Dito on January 30, 2016, 12:09:37 PM
At this point, I really can't help much more. I'm a beginner as well. I'll refer you back to what Mr. duck_arse said earlier:

I have no idea how to do that, but I know other people here do. I wish you lots of luck.

-Dito

PBE6

The schematic you posted looks fine, you shouldn't have much trouble putting it together.

In addition to the components listed on the schematic, you'll need the following:

- 2" x 3" perf board (or similar size)
- an opamp socket (DIP-8 )
- hookup wire (22- or 24-gauge, solid or stranded)
- an LED with bezel
- a 3PDT stomp switch
- one stereo 1/4" jack and one mono 1/4" jack
- one 9V battery snap
- one 1590B or 1590D aluminum enclosure
- electrical and/or duct tape
- potentiometers with compatible knobs

duck_arse

(did we see a schematic? I only saw layouts.)

QuoteI have fear to build all the parts but to not finish the work for my incompetence...

we all  many  some I have a fear of not finishing the work, competence or otherwise.
don't make me draw another line.

PBE6

He did manage to find a schematic - voila!

Looks straightforward enough.

DottJ

Thank you very much!!!

I'll do a full list of the components, if you could check, it will be great!

Just for info, i want to build a pedal without the 9v battery; only the 9v plug.

PBE6

Ahh ok, then you need a DC jack - centre negative and accommodates a 2.1mm barrel plug. And you don't need the battery snap.

If you plan on making several pedals you can save some money by buying in bulk at Tayda or on eBay, these items (along with resistors and capacitors) are required for virtually every build.

DottJ

Do you have any preferred sellers on Ebay?

I'll check soon. unfortunatelly i haven't yet the time to make a full list of what i need.

More or less, for this project,  i'm gonna spent about 40$ or more?

PBE6

No preferred seller, just check "free shipping" and then sort by lowest price. I get my enclosures from Mammoth. You could also try Smallbear, from what I hear they have fantastic service and reasonable prices.

DottJ

Hi all,
i have done a list of the pieces i saw in the schematic. Could you please check if i lost something ( absolutely yes because this is the first pedal i try to build and as i said before i'm know few things of electronic more or less zero).

- 2" x 3" perf board (or similar size)
- an opamp socket (DIP-8 )
- hookup wire (22- or 24-gauge, solid or stranded)
- an LED with bezel
- a 3PDT stomp switch
- one stereo 1/4" jack and one mono 1/4" jack
- DC jack - centre negative and accommodates a 2.1mm barrel plug
- one 1590B or 1590D aluminum enclosure
- electrical and/or duct tape
- potentiometers with compatible knobs
- 1n914 (3 pieces)
- pot 5k lin (presence)
- pot 500k log (gain)
- pot 25k lin (tone)
- pot 250k log (vol)
- 220n tan (3 pieces)
- capacitors 470
- capacitors 10k (3 pieces)
- capacitors 56 p cer ( 2 pieces)
- capacitors 1M
- capacitors 1k (3 pieces)
- capacitors 100n (2 pieces)
- capacitors 100k
- capacitors 220E
- BA 4558 KIA 4558
- capacitors 22uf
- capacitors 4,7k

I have a lot of picture of my friend pedals (the blue collar first series) if you want to see or you think it is useful i can post it.

Please help me :) thanks