First Overdrive based on Blue Collar

Started by DottJ, January 28, 2016, 08:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resynthesis

Some of the things you've labelled as capacitors should be resistors (as I'm sure you've spotted yourself)  :icon_razz:

DottJ

You are right but as i've told i'm new in the electronic world. I'll try to fix what i've wrote.
Please check with the schematic if i wrote somthing wrong or i've forgotten something. thanks!
http://s206.photobucket.com/user/JHSNRW/media/early_Blue_Collar.gif.html

- 2" x 3" perf board (or similar size)
- an opamp socket (DIP-8 )
- hookup wire (22- or 24-gauge, solid or stranded)
- an LED with bezel
- a 3PDT stomp switch
- one stereo 1/4" jack and one mono 1/4" jack
- DC jack - centre negative and accommodates a 2.1mm barrel plug
- one 1590B or 1590D aluminum enclosure
- electrical and/or duct tape
- potentiometers with compatible knobs
- 1n914 (3 pieces)
- pot 5k lin (presence)
- pot 500k log (gain)
- pot 25k lin (tone)
- pot 250k log (vol)
- 220n tan (3 pieces)
- capacitors 470
- capacitors 10k (3 pieces)
- capacitors 56 p cer ( 2 pieces)
- resistors 1M
- capacitors 1k (3 pieces)
- capacitors 100n (2 pieces)
- capacitors 100k
- capacitors 220E
- BA 4558 KIA 4558
- resistors 22uf
- resistors 4,7k

mth5044

Here are the correctly labeled caps and resistors from your list

Capacitors:
- 220n tan (3 pieces)
- 56 p cer ( 2 pieces)
- 100n (2 pieces)
- 22uf

Resistors:
- 10k (3 pieces)
- 1M
- 1k (3 pieces)
- 220E

DottJ

Thanks you... Could i ask if it is all i need based in this schematic? Thank you very very very moutch!
http://s206.photobucket.com/user/JHSNRW/media/early_Blue_Collar.gif.html

mth5044

Assuming you've got the tools, looks good to me. But, since you don't list a battery snap, you don't need the stereo jack, just two mono's. Or you can use a stereo jack, doesn't really matter.

DottJ

Thanks! I have the tools. If at the end of this project everithing goes in the right way i'll the nane of this pedal will be Mth in your onor 😄😄😄

DottJ

Hi

i'm trying to buy all the part but i could not find the part in the schematic called BA 4558 KIA 4558. Maybe i'm writing something wrong in the search of the online store?
thanks

p.s. how could i attach a picture?? i could only attach web image or personal image on local laptop?

duck_arse

just search for 4558 and it will turn up something in a DIL package, 8 pins, dula op-amp. might be an NE- or a JRC- or an LM-, won't matter.

and those resistors "470" "220E" will be 220R and 470R, or the "R" will be "ohms", or the ohms symbol. and do yourself a favour, order 10 of each of those resistors, and 20 of each the 1k 10k 1M. and 10 of the 100nF, and some extra of the other caps.

all your resistors will be 1/4W carbon film or metal film, whichever they have/you find.

as for the pictures, you need to upload them to a hosting website, who will provide you an address for your just uploaded. you copy the provided addy, and then paste it up the mona - .
don't make me draw another line.

DottJ

I do not know how to thank you.

Thank you very very very very  mutch.

This evening i'll buy all the parts and in the meanwile i'll read the "Frequently asked question" section.

Quote from: duck_arse on February 10, 2016, 08:36:37 AM
just search for 4558 and it will turn up something in a DIL package, 8 pins, dula op-amp. might be an NE- or a JRC- or an LM-, won't matter.

and those resistors "470" "220E" will be 220R and 470R, or the "R" will be "ohms", or the ohms symbol. and do yourself a favour, order 10 of each of those resistors, and 20 of each the 1k 10k 1M. and 10 of the 100nF, and some extra of the other caps.

all your resistors will be 1/4W carbon film or metal film, whichever they have/you find.

as for the pictures, you need to upload them to a hosting website, who will provide you an address for your just uploaded. you copy the provided addy, and then paste it up the mona - .

DottJ

hi all,
i have found all in the list except for this two:

-1n914

on this site http://www.bitsbox.co.uk if i search this components i found
instead of 1n914
1N4148
and instead 4,7k
4K7 CF Resistor 0.25W or 4K7 CF Resistor 0.5W or 4K7 3W Resistor

is the same or it change something?
for all the other capacitors and resistance i found the correct type with different W value... how could i choose the correct one?
For the resistor i found carbon or metal film type... any difference?

thanks

bluebunny

Check my answer in the other thread where you asked the same question.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

DottJ

Hi all,
Finally i've bought all the parts and tomorrow i start building.

Looking the schematic i could not understand the Connection with the pot and the ground. Is there someone Who could explain to me in simile way how to read the schematic?
Thanks!

duck_arse

Dottj - you must now go to geofex.com, and read "the secret life of pots". if that page does not explain the connectings/connections in a way that answers your questions, return hither, and ask for clarifications.

DottJ

What could  i say? Thanks Duck_arse !!!
:) :) :) :)

Quote from: duck_arse on February 23, 2016, 08:48:35 AM
Dottj - you must now go to geofex.com, and read "the secret life of pots". if that page does not explain the connectings/connections in a way that answers your questions, return hither, and ask for clarifications.

DottJ

Hi all,
starting from this schematic
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.it/2012/06/menatone-blue-collar-early-version.html

how could i know the direction (+ or - ) of the capacitors and diodo? i mean, the + is in the upper copper strip or in the other??
thanks

bluebunny

There's a light-blue minus-sign ("-") on the electrolytics which matches a similar marking on the physical component.  In this case, both "-" connect to ground on the bottom strip.  The diodes have a black mark corresponding with the band (cathode) on the physical device.  So D1,2,3 "point" down, up, down.

(BTW, it's a layout, not a schematic.)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

DottJ

Thanks Bluebunny!! and please please please, if i use the wrong terminology, correct me!  ;) ;) :) :)

Quote from: bluebunny on February 24, 2016, 02:55:50 AM
There's a light-blue minus-sign ("-") on the electrolytics which matches a similar marking on the physical component.  In this case, both "-" connect to ground on the bottom strip.  The diodes have a black mark corresponding with the band (cathode) on the physical device.  So D1,2,3 "point" down, up, down.

(BTW, it's a layout, not a schematic.)

duck_arse

dottj, if you keep saying
Quoteand please please please
we'll be getting your coat.

I hope that's not too obtuse a reference?

mcknib

Here's a wee read for you posted elsewhere on the forums but.......we are here to please, please, please after all...

A beginners guide to effects pedal components:

http://www.guitarpcb.com/PDF%20Files/A%20Beginners%20Guide%20to%20Effects%20Pedal%20Components.pdf

I'll get ma coat!