Delayed switch question

Started by calan, January 30, 2016, 08:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calan

I hope I can explain this...   :)

I'm building a remote footswitch for a Zoom G3, and need a single switch that presses two panel buttons (Tap and Scroll); but I need the tap connection to be made immediately, and the scroll connection a few milliseconds later. I don't know the exact delay...it will depend on whatever debounce delay they engineered into it.

For those not familiar with it, it has two scroll buttons and tap tempo button. The scroll buttons on their own shift the display. If the tap button is held, the scroll buttons then change patches. Rather than latching the tap button first (like the popular mods do), I want to use a dedicated switch that will both press the tap button, and then shortly after, press the scroll button.

I tried just simultaneously connecting them both to common (which they share) at the same time, but nogo. There is definitely a very short time that the tap button must be held before pressing the scroll button...otherwise it scrolls the display as if the tap button wasn't pressed.

I've thought about a timer module, but can't find one that works off 9v. And, they are a bit large for my space. Anyone got an idea for a simpler, discrete (R/C maybe?) approach to it?

garcho

QuoteI've thought about a timer module, but can't find one that works off 9v.

do you mean a timing relay or some electromechanical thing? or something like the 555 circuit below, am I way off?

QuoteAnd, they are a bit large for my space.
this would be too large, eh?

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

calan

Well, yeah... that's pretty much what the little delay boards do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Delay-relay-shield-NE555-Timer-Switch-Adjustable-Module-0-to-10-Second-/161330097657?hash=item259005edf9:g:CvQAAOxyIv5Tkte-

That board ^ would probably work, if it will power off of 9v, and the timing adjustment has enough resolution at sub-1 second delays. I can't get anyone to tell me whether or not 9v will run them though.

I posted the question in the hopes that there was a smaller, simpler approach to it.

PRR

> if it will power off of 9v

The '555 sure will work on 9V, even 5V (up to 15V).

That 12V relay will be borderline unreliable at 9V. 9V relays are readily available. How hard it is to de-solder the one you get, I do not know. You could tack a 9V relay's coil across the 12V relay's coil and let the 12V job clack or not as it pleases, but that's ugly.

> tap connection to be made immediately, and the scroll connection a few milliseconds later

Ya know, if you ground the TAP connection directly, and also the end of a 9V relay, the relay contacts will not close until "a few milliseconds later", which may be long enough to get past tap debounce and into scroll time. Cheap to try.
  • SUPPORTER

calan

That ^ is an excellent point. I think those relay types are all the same size. I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-SONGLE-9V-DC-SPDT-Power-Relay-SRD-9VDC-SL-C-/250778763965?hash=item3a639442bd:g:ds8AAOSwqu9VIlNi

I bought one of the delay modules, and may just build the footswitch with a 12v adapter. If not, I may buy the replacement 9v relays and try that.

Thanks for the idea on simply swapping the relays. Hadn't even thought of that for some goofy reason.  :)